Let's talk Canadian.... (specifically Alberta)

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
As ridiculous as it sounds, there's a degree of logic to what I'm about to toss out here.

I've officially made it through my first 6 months of chemo. Been far from fun and games, but, I'm still kicking, it shows progress, and, I've got a marrow biopsy on the 6th. So, I feel I've earned a reward.

At the same time, the price was just reduced on what is known in your neck of the woods as a 'fivequad' that I've had my eye on since early summer. It's listed in Edminton, and, supposedly, a second donor truck is available to go with it minus the front bumper.

All things said, it looks fairly clean and is a 22km unit, or, so they claim. It checks enough originality boxes down to the off-color blue replacement dashes motor pools supposedly sourced in the 80s when the correct colors dried up.

I've always wanted a CUCV, but, learned a while back that the CDN forces had a precursor in the fivequads that we're a round eye body (being 1976s), with the bonus of the heavier frames. Also, they're already v8 gas spec, not diesel.

So.... I'm thinking I kind of want to make this happen. Even with needing to go about finding someone to handle the border crossing and the steam cleaning the undercarriage, the price is right - even better post exchange rate.

At the same time, I'm pretty sure there's been body work done - dirty hand prints show on the paint, most of the underbody has been spray bombed black with enough roughness to the surface it looks like painted over surface rust (not a worry for a truck like this) and, I presume, perhaps work on the body - and slathered bondo which I hear the motor pools liked to virtually apply by trowel would be a concern.

So, my question is, do we have any longtime members here that are close enough by that I could convince to give this thing a look over in person? I'd insist on being allowed to throw some gas money and enough to treat yourself to a decent meal your way as the least I could do.

My goal is to toss a gearvendors OD into it, then put a camper in the bed and use this instead of the yukon on what I *hope* will be many future travels as the cancer's arse gets kicked to the moon.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
At the same time, the price was just reduced on what is known in your neck of the woods as a 'fivequad' that I've had my eye on since early summer.
That must be a Canadian term, I'm used to five-quarter (5/4) for what we called them in the Army. Didn't matter if it was the pick ups or Blazers.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That must be a Canadian term, I'm used to five-quarter (5/4) for what we called them in the Army. Didn't matter if it was the pick ups or Blazers.
Yessir, except almost a decade earlier:

Screenshot_20231013_221529_Chrome.jpg

I used to contemplate a m1008 or m1031, but, as I said, I've always liked the 70s models better not just for the round eyes but they were heavier trucks too. So once I learned these existed, with 350 gas engines instead of the 6.2s, I started keeping an eye open.

BTW - a local guy in town is parting out a turbo 1980 Monte, he bought to use the front sheetmetal.and header on his car. If JRs car needs any small bits let me know and I'll check with him.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
BTW - a local guy in town is parting out a turbo 1980 Monte, he bought to use the front sheetmetal.and header on his car. If JRs car needs any small bits let me know and I'll check with him.
I'll look over the small stuff to see. Shame if it wasn't closer to check out the doors.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Here I thought you were gonna say you were thinking of moving there. As a mod, you should revise this thread title so it ends in the word "eh".
That'd be a tough row to hoe. To attempt to combat their home affordability crisis they actually had placed a moratorium on foreign purchases of real property, and, I dont believe its been lifted yet? We had been looking at maritime provinces property when the moratorium came down though....

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
That'd be a tough row to hoe. To attempt to combat their home affordability crisis they actually had placed a moratorium on foreign purchases of real property, and, I dont believe its been lifted yet? We had been looking at maritime provinces property when the moratorium came down though....

Just identify as Canadian. Worked for that powerlifter dude who identified as a chick and destroyed them all.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just identify as Canadian. Worked for that powerlifter dude who identified as a chick and destroyed them all.
I've made my own maple syrup, like Tim Hortons donuts, and, prefer eating at Don Cherry's over chains like Applebees....

That's got to count for a start.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Sorry to hear about the Cancer, it sucks! I wish I was closer to Edmonton, 8.5 hours for me. When I went to College, one of my classmates had a 85, 4 door Ton and a 1/4 4×4 ex military, that was sbc 350 swapped. It actually came with a 4.3 V6 factory supposedly, bet that was a slug! My In Laws had the same thing with a 85 4 door 1 1/4 ton+ long box 2wd and factory 350. My Wife called it the Hutterite mobile, she is Mennonite on her Mom's side, close enough. Hope someone can help you out.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I've made my own maple syrup, like Tim Hortons donuts, and, prefer eating at Don Cherry's over chains like Applebees....

That's got to count for a start.

You've got me convinced, and I hail from farther north that a great many that call themselves Canadian.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor