Longtube or shorties? Headers...which one's better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowconcepts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2008
georgia
I'm currently running long tube Hooker knockoffs, big diameter(1.625). Fitment is fine, minor dents needed to clear passenger side control arm. The downside is slight loss of lowend torque, and the annoying issue of removal of the passenger side header to swap out my starter due to the 7qt oversized oil pan.
For a lowend grunt motor for street running I would recommend the mid length small tube headers. Also gives better starter clearance, easier install, and smaller dents to clear suspension.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
crowconcepts said:
I'm currently running long tube Hooker knockoffs, big diameter(1.625). Fitment is fine, minor dents needed to clear passenger side control arm. The downside is slight loss of lowend torque, and the annoying issue of removal of the passenger side header to swap out my starter due to the 7qt oversized oil pan.
For a lowend grunt motor for street running I would recommend the mid length small tube headers. Also gives better starter clearance, easier install, and smaller dents to clear suspension.

I'm curious as to what you're referring to when you say there is a slight loss in low end torque. The length of the primaries or the diameter? As far as my understanding goes, the longer the primary/secondary(collector), the greater the torque with less horsepower, the shorter the primary/secondary, the greater the horsepower with less torque. As far as primary diameter goes, the larger the diameter due to lower exhaust velocity, the lower the torque with greater horsepower.

That's how I understand it anyways.

crowconcepts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2008
georgia
In my setup, which is still a mismatched bunch, my small heads and huge exhaust , 3 1/2 oval, my long tube headers are too much breathing room. And shorter smaller headers would probably help my low end.

Elky81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2012
Surrey,British Columbia.Canada
drogg1 said:
crowconcepts said:

I'm curious as to what you're referring to when you say there is a slight loss in low end torque. The length of the primaries or the diameter? As far as my understanding goes, the longer the primary/secondary(collector), the greater the torque with less horsepower, the shorter the primary/secondary, the greater the horsepower with less torque. As far as primary diameter goes, the larger the diameter due to lower exhaust velocity, the lower the torque with greater horsepower.

That's how I understand it anyways.

X2

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Go duals or don't bother with headers.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
I have Hedman #68310 on my 81 Malibu, Fit great. I need remove the header when I service the factory stater. Never once blow out a gasket or had one start leaking.Im thinking about Hedman or Hooker shorty headers for my 78 El Camino, Just for easier installation and fitment with stock starter.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor