Looking for GM anti-seize for O2 sensors, etc.?

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Just an FYI for folks that are needing anti-seize for stuff. I thought I might have posted something about this before, but I was looking at O2 sensor info and ran across the lubrication part of it. Anyway...

O2 sensors from GM come with a dry lubricant embedded with glass beads. The idea is that eventually, the lubricant burns away leaving the glass beads to make it easier to get the sensor out of the manifold if the time comes. But if you're inspecting and remove it, what to put back on it? ( put it on threads only and SPARINGLY. Don't contaminate the sensor head) Main thing is, DON'T clean off any stuff on the threads of a new O2 sensor if it's on there, and if it comes with a pack of lube (some do) use that, or your favorite anti-seize that's safe for your application.

The GM part number they originally listed for this (5613695) is has been superseded all the way to its current number of 88862477. Don't know what ever happened to that very early stuff. Probably wouldn't want it anyway as some of the glass bead original junk has likely dried up.

But don't bother with it from GM. They want way more for the same stuff you can get at most industrial supply places. It's Bostik Never-Seez. No lie. They don't even bother to repackage it. Just comes in the regular Bostik can. Weird thing is, if you look up the number, it shows Nickel based in some places, and regular grade copper based in others. I'm not sure which one you're getting. Used to be the nickel based.

Personally, if you're stock, any copper based stuff should work, like Permatex copper, etc. Doesn't mess with cat converters at all, and great for cast iron. HOWEVER, do not use it on stainless. Not a good mix. It can eventually weaken stainless to the point of cracking it. I know copper stuff was taboo for the nuclear plant piping guys when I worked for Florida Power Unit 3. They used nickel based stuff. Interestingly, ACDelco had one of the superseded part numbers previously (12371386) that was nickel based. Bostik makes a nickel grade as well, plus some stuff for stainless, too. But so does Loctite, under p/n 235028 (LB 771).

Good luck. We're all counting on you.
I thought it was "I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together"?

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It also depends on how much goes on the part vs. how much goes on the person applying it!!🤣🤣
It's been around for a long time, ever catch the Tinman in the Wizard of Oz? Where do you think the inspiration for that role came from? The writer's mechanic installing an O2 sensor.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I thought it was "I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together"?

Actually...
E52jP0.gif

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor