Loose Steering Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastEnder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2009
The steering clolumn in my "85 Regal is loose. The outside collar will rotate with the shifter when I use the column shifter. It also feels like the part of the column that is closest to the wheel is loose too. It wobles around back and forth. (its a tilt column) (Note there are two separate issues here, in two different spots) Is there are away to tighten it in either spot? Is the whole thing shot?

Thanks for any help.

carpenter383

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2011
EastEnder said:
The steering clolumn in my "85 Regal is loose. The outside collar will rotate with the shifter when I use the column shifter. It also feels like the part of the column that is closest to the wheel is loose too. It wobles around back and forth. (its a tilt column) (Note there are two separate issues here, in two different spots) Is there are away to tighten it in either spot? Is the whole thing shot?

Thanks for any help.

There are 3 bolts behind the steering wheel that become loose over time, you can get to two of them by removing the steering wheel, horn assy, turn signal assy, etc. I tightened just the two I could get at on my monte yrs ago and it's still tight.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
Quite common GM tilt column problem. If you Google it, you'll find detailed instructions all over the place.

Basically, you can sit in the driver's seat, disassemble til you get to the 4 loose screws, take em out and loctite them, then reassemble. It takes awhile and is a bit of a PITA, but definitely worth doing.

Or you can stop when you get to the first two screws if you don't mind leaving 2 loose screws in your column, a much easier job.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You'll need a Pivot Pin removal tool to get the housing off. Get a good one as they are known to break off and then you are buggered.

EastEnder

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2009
Awesome! thanks for the help! here I was thinking the whole thing was shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor