ls 5.3 swap into my 85 el camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
galvesm said:
how much power does that 5.3l make might want to go that route because the motors are dirt cheap instead of an ls1

I think one of the magazines had 300+ horsepower with a junkyard 5.3, headers and a 4 barrel.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
LS1GN said:
galvesm said:
how much power does that 5.3l make might want to go that route because the motors are dirt cheap instead of an ls1

I think one of the magazines had 300+ horsepower with a junkyard 5.3, headers and a 4 barrel.

Pushing 400 hp with a mild cam and valve springs

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I just figured out what a lot of you all probably already knew: the 4.8 and the 5.3 are the same block, same bore, and same pistons. The only difference is the crank/stroke.

What this means is: 4.8s are dirt cheap (as little as $200 around here) and if you wanted, you cold change the crank (rods?) and do what Motorhomes and I suggested and you're at or beyond 400 horses!!!!!!!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Yep you guys are right the cranks are the only difference between 4.8's and 5.3's, which is why sometimes you will see "4.8/5.3" cast into the block where the size designation is.

The rods are different.

IMO if you are going through the trouble of swapping cranks, having the rotating assembly balanced, and then replacing the bolts and bearings, might as well put a 4" stroke in the engine and make it a 5.9L.

To the OP very very nice build. Such a clean car and a clean swap. Is there any way to use a low mount compressor with your mounts?

hamiltonbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the coments, no I can't do the low campressor mount because of the motor mount adapter plates, it is right where the facory truck bracket goes. at least this way I can use the factory a/c lines from a cutlass with a 307 and be able to buy new ones from a advance auto store if they ever go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor