Map and dome light wiring

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
Hey all I have a question about the dome light with map light. It has a little switch on it and I’m wondering which light does the switch operate? Is it for the map light only or do they both work together? Does both bulbs supposed to light up when the doors open or only one?
IMG_1905.png

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The dome light is powered by the orange wire (circuit 40) fused but not switched. The ground for the dome light is thru the white wire to the door switches which make contact when the door is open to make the ground.

The map light is also powered by the orange wire for +12V and grounds to the body of the car thru the switch.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The switch is for the map/reading lights. It has to have direct metal housing to body ground with the mounting screw when installing. The orange wire will be the power for them.
The dome light is powered by the orange wire (circuit 40) fused but not switched. The ground for the dome light is thru the white wire to the door switches which make contact when the door is open to make the ground.

The map light is also powered by the orange wire for +12V and grounds to the body of the car thru the switch.
And was posted as I was getting ready to post.

Reactions: 1 user

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
Thanks guys that is what I thought. Guess my little switch is bad or it is not grounded good enough

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina

In attempt to rule out bad ground can I just run a ground to the housing or would that be bad?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ground it with a wire if needed. Make sure you get good crimps on the eyelet terminal. Never can have too many grounds.

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
Ok thanks about to try it now!

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
Ground it with a wire if needed. Make sure you get good crimps on the eyelet terminal. Never can have too many grounds.
Quick results! So after rigging up a test ground wire to the light housing my map light now turns on and off with the little switch, but you have to wiggle the switch and get it in just the right spot. So my original suspicion was both correct faulty switch and bad ground! New question is can the switch be fixed or replaced?

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
See if you can spray some contact cleaner in there. CRC QD Contact Cleaner is good for that. And then clean up your ground return and it should be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
See if you can spray some contact cleaner in there. CRC QD Contact Cleaner is good for that. And then clean up your ground return and it should be good to go.
Thanks will try that later today when I get some contact cleaner.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor