G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I remember from before and you found the pump for the 454. Could be just weak pump or partial blockage. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the pump rod or eccentric.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I don't know how accurate that calculator is. I can tell you for a fact a 1000 hp race engine is not getting by on a 75 GPH pump like that calculator says. There is acceleration forces pushing the gas back to the tank that the pump has to overcome. I would think there is a correction factor that yes maybe on a stand at rpm it may use less fuel but in a car I think it needs a lot more. Overall, dropping 6 to 4 psi at wide open throttle is not terrible but it showing the system is limited. My dad used to cross the finish line at 3 psi with his race car back in the 80's. He claimed as long as it had pressure there was gas in the bowl.

Reactions: 4 users

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
While there may be an issue with the fuel pressure dropping at higher speeds, if it's enough to keep the float bowl full, it probably will not cause any issues. I would still check all hoses and clamps for any damage because you may have issues down the road. If it was fuel injected, low fuel pressure would be a problem.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Another good reason for an A/F meter. If at WOT the meter shows going lean, going out of normal limits, that's bad. Going too lean at WOT is a nice precursor to engine damage.

Going somewhat lean at cruise helps increase MPG. Lean at wide open is bad, not good.

If your FP reduces to 4 psi, but not going lean, then it's something to improve on but not stress over. If it's going lean then the obvious is to resolve it as soon as you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor