What is this fitting on a Saginaw style power steering pump?

asgeirogm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2023
Hey, I've spent hours trying to figure out what this fitting is, it looks like an AN fitting, but it' dimensions don't fit any AN size. I realize the accuracy of my measurements are not super accurate, but good enough for identification, I hope :)

The fitting is on a Saginaw style power steering pump, it was on a Chevy 350 engine that I bought, but that's all the info I have.

Any help or hints would be much appreciated :)

Attachments

• power steering pump fitting 2.png
    power steering pump fitting 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • power steering pump fitting.png
    power steering pump fitting.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
First you'll need to know the year & possible the donor as in '80 in most if not all GM's went from the flaired inch to O ring metric. Some pre '80 cars already started to use the metric fittings. Even in my advance info manual for '79 Chevys warns some may have metric ends.

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Looks like a 45 degree SAE flare fitting.

Reactions: 1 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
If you can get a angle off the taper 37 degree would make it a JIC fitting, often used in high pressure hydraulic hose applications. 45 degree would be SAE.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
An AN fitting, aka an Army-Navy fitting, also uses its own standard thread size. AN fittings are a flare fitting, using 37° flared tubing to form a metal-to-metal seal. The JIC, which is supposedly their industrial variant, may or may not actually be identical.

What you may also find is that the threads themselves may come with differing pitches or Thread count per inch. I have used both AN and SAE JIS and the JIC's often had a coarser thread count than their AN cousins. What I also noted during the time that I worked with them was that the JIC taper was greater than what the A-N displayed.

And then there are the Metrics. which fit only themselves.

If you can get down on the hex faces of that fitting with a socket or combo wrench, it might give you some idea of whether you are dealing with North American Standard or some off-off shore Euro-compliant part. If possible, removing it might also shed some light on what it actually is but be careful here because the other end might not be pipe or NPT. It could be invert flare and there would be a flare nut shoulder or insert in the port to accept it and create the seal. Lose that little shouldered insert and finding a replacement could be problematic. (Ask me how I know)

Nick

asgeirogm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 17, 2023
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Using an online protractor and the image I uploaded, I'm certain the angle is 45 degrees. The hex faces measure at exactly 1 inch, all of which indicate this being a SAE fitting. The closest SAE fitting on the following chart is "Inch Size" = 3/8":
i202004021103466070526.jpg

However, "Male Thread O.D." for me is 0,616", and if I set my digital calipers to 0,63" and place it around the threads, it seems somewhere loose, which I might be willing to chalk up to wear and tear (although it still seems like a lot - while I also assume this fitting was screwed in once and then left there for good, making wear and tear minimal). If my assumption that "Female thread O.D" is the same as the one I marked in blue on my picture is correct (which it absolutely might not be), then my measurement is 0,533" while the table says 0,57"; and when I set my digital calipers to 0,57", it was very, very loose, on a face that I expect will not face much deformation from wear and tear.

That was a very protracted way of saying that I'm not convinced that what I have is a SAE 3/8" fitting. If anyone has opinions, I would love to hear them :)

I managed to get the fitting out; here's a picture of it:
fitting3.png

The hose I have coming from the steering box right now has what seems to be a 5/8" male fitting:
1712044358392.png

Seemingly, what I need to use this pump is one of the following:
* Female SAE 3/8" -> Female 5/8" (if the fitting I have is indeed SAE 3/8")
* New fitting for the pump, then a converter from whatever male fitting is now on the pump (presumably something like AN6) to female 5/8"
* New hose that fits the steering box (don't remember what fitting that is) and female SAE 3/8" (unlikely to find?)
* New fitting for the pump and a new hose with fittings matching the new pump fitting and the steering box

Obviously, I'd like the cheapest option possible to work, which would probably be the first one, but I have not been able to track down such a fitting (at least not in Europe, where I live).

If anyone has opinions on how I should approach this, then I'd be glad to hear them as well :)

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
They have saganaw power steering pump inlet fittings on ebay the more common one is metric and uses o rings to seal you could change the inlet to get to a more common g body hose possibly. The fitting you have used to be used on old 64 buicks didn't it ? Looks like some I saw many years ago...ther are adaptor fittings but I'm only confusing the issue...if you do get a new hose you might get a gas company to re flare the end so you could get the cap nut back over the flair if your useing a cheap flaring tool it likely will slip on the tube instead of flaring hard steel, proubly would be possible to heat the tube with a propain torch and tap the end of the flair wedge with a small hammer try and get something dune these days picture is 64 buick to 69 take your pump fitting to auto zoan after ordering the buick line and see if your fitting fits the buick hose ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240402-144029_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402-144029_Firefox.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor