Moog and GM, early '80s??

Status
Not open for further replies.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
Hey guys! I'm about to redo my steering system and i've been told a while ago that back in '81 GM was taking their steering components from MOOG to put them on the cars right on the assembly line. Is that true??

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
Could be. GM is probably like most places, the company with the lowest bid gets the parts contract.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Not sure where you are headed with the desire to know who GM used to supply their parts. But I used all Moog stuff on the last f/e rebuild. It got all new bushings/ball joints, tie rod ends and center link. Felt like a new car when I got it done and aligned. Keep track of the shims on the upper arms where they connect to the frame and put them back as they came out. Keep track of the number of turns on the tie rods and center link when you take them apart so they can be close when you put them together. Before tightening down the lower A arms, set the car down on the ground so you don't bind up the new bushings.

Most importantly, be VERY careful of the springs. They contain a LOT of energy and can exit with deadly force if not secured. I usually wrap and bolt a chain through the coils and around the frame to prevent an unintended exit if something goes wrong. They say a shock will prevent an exit too so leave that in if you wish.

Good luck with your rebuild.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
Very useful and helping!!! Thanks for the info TexasT!!!! Well i want to know if GM was taking their parts from Moog in order to put back exactly what was originally installed on GP when he was on the assembly line!!

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
I work in a GM engine plant. Currently GM still operates 140 manufacturing sites. Parts get contracted out to GM specifications all of the time. It's quite possible Moog was supplying parts to some plants at that time. Locally a TRW plant made a lot of chassis parts. There is probably more than one right answer. Sometimes they have more than one supplier for strategic parts in case of labour disruptions or other events that threaten shutting down an assembly plant.
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor