CUTLASS Must I Use A Gasket On my 307's Valve Covers?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
NO. You don't have to. In fact, Olds didn't put gaskets on G-body V8 valve covers. They don't even list them in the parts books. So if you want to do it the factory way, here it is, straight from the Chassis Service Manual. Although it's not listed here, the Diesel V8 has basically the same setup for valve cover sealing, although they state as they forget to here, tighten the valve cover bolts "seated and not stripped." Now, if you want to use gaskets, by all means. Because over the years, the RTV gets hard and cracks and causes leaks like a moo-foo. You know it, and I know it. So let your concience be your guide. But using a gasket wouldn't be factory correct. Just tossin' this out there.

1704137349514.png

The superseded number RTV for use that is called out in the service manual is now 112378521. Of course, you could use any of the good stuff like Permatex ultra, etc. But if you're wanting to get down to nitty gritty GM-approved sealer, this is the stuff.

ad0491762e8bebbd627e55b0d0c54d72.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
RTV or the now discontinued Felpo Permadry rigid core valve cover gaskets were the only thing that sealed the cheap chrome valve covers. I had to use Optimum Grey to glue on the mentioned Permadry gaskets to the Edelbrock copy of the old M/T aluminum valve covers to seal them. The best ones currently available are the rubber with steel core from Rocket Racing and various Ebay sellers. The factory method works, just makes removal more of a challenge.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor