My new seats!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I was gonna stick with my bench but my mother-in-laws car blew a head gasket and she decided to junk the car. Before she could I grabbed the seats out of it. They are from an '87 pontiac 6000. What all do I need to do to put them in my elco? Do I need g-body tracks? Plus has anybody painted their seats before? I don't wanna end up ruining my clothes because I painted these seats black and they blead on me! If not I will just throw some covers on them until I can get them re-upholstered. Not bad for free though!
DSC00059.jpg
DSC00058.jpg

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks, thats what I figured! Anybody have any g-body seat tracks? I also need the inner seat brackets. I guess I could look around the junk yard for the brackets but I really dont wanna be hammering with a sharp chisel in 110+ degree weather! Anyone ever die/ paint their seats?

crash

Master Mechanic
Feb 14, 2010
Sanford, Michigan
I picked up a full set of tan seats out of an '82 Grand Prix that I painted black with some Dupli-Color vinyl and fabric spray paint. It took a LOT to completely cover and it left the fabric feeling unnaturally rough. It was either that though or the horrid mis-matched seats that were in the car when I got it that were all ripped up, I chose to go this route as I can't afford to have them redone yet the way I want.

They have been in the Cutlass now for about a month and I actually am very happy with them. After about a week of everyday use, most of the fabric went back to feeling normal. I have never had any paint rub off or stain my clothes, and today I even drove it with wet white swim shorts and no paint rubbed off on them. The paint does fade though with regular use, but I can deal with that for now until I can get them redone.

My interior looks a million times better with the black painted seats then it ever did with the nasty ones that were in it. I have never had anyone say anything bad about them, only comments and most people don't believe that I spray painted them as well.

EDIT...

Here you can see the back seat, one part painted black, the other original color
19afc053.jpg

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
oldtinsmith said:
Hey bigjoenvegas, that's a nice score on the seats!
Thanks! I used the dupli-color vinyl paint on my door panels and they came out great, so I guess I'll try it on the seats. I'll keep everyone posted in my build thread, wish me luck! I hope mine come out as good as your's did.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Joe,
Does your Elky have a full bench seat or a 60/40? if it's a bench or 60/40. you can use the outer tracks for the buckets..but you'll still need the inner tracks.
How about the center seat mounting brackets? If your car has a 60/40 set-up it will have the center mounting points. If not, you're going to have to cut them out of a junker/ parts car.

Nice seats, by the way. Do they fold forward for access to your luggage compartment?

Oh, the dye job does look good, Crash. 8) I wonder if Scotchgarding them would help the dye from becoming compromised.

bigjoenvegas

Master Mechanic
Dec 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Longroof79 said:
Joe,
Does your Elky have a full bench seat or a 60/40? if it's a bench or 60/40. you can use the outer tracks for the buckets..but you'll still need the inner tracks.
How about the center seat mounting brackets? If your car has a 60/40 set-up it will have the center mounting points. If not, you're going to have to cut them out of a junker/ parts car.

Nice seats, by the way. Do they fold forward for access to your luggage compartment?

Oh, the dye job does look good, Crash. 8) I wonder if Scotchgarding them would help the dye from becoming compromised.
It has a full bench. So if I go and get the inner mounts can these seats just bolt in? I just checked the seats too and they don't fold foward. But thats ok cause I plan on putting a bunch of speakers back there. I like my bumps!

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
bigjoenvegas said:
Longroof79 said:
Joe,

It has a full bench. So if I go and get the inner mounts can these seats just bolt in? I just checked the seats too and they don't fold foward. But thats ok cause I plan on putting a bunch of speakers back there. I like my bumps!

Yes, all you need are the inner ones. If you have access to a cordless sawsaw, or know anyone with one. it will make the job much easier. I'm doing the same swap, so if i get a chance this weekend. i'll try and get an extra set..

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Those seats look sharp. If you get them painted black, so much the better.

One question through. Are these Pontiac seats the same as say a Cavalier or such? I've wondered about them myself. They (the Cavalier seats) look a bit wide for a g-body. They sit nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor