new calipers, problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Hi guys here's the prob, I changed both the calipers and lines due to one of the bleeder screws being frozen in the caliper, figure go all brand new because one caliper is 25$, any way install everything, gravity bleed the lines, now it feels like the pressure in the system is not backing off. I can turn the rotor by hand but it takes a considerable amount of effort to do so, my cousin thinks it could be the master went bad, car has been sitting for over 6 months. Any ideas?

T.I.A

Wade

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can check it by loosening a bleeder...if the brake is under pressure then the fluid will come out real quick so do have you face too close

and if you want to pay my airfare I'll gladly give you a hand... :mrgreen:

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
You say you changed the lines, did that include the rubber hoses? I've seen them act like 1-way valves and not let the caliper release.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Black Sheep said:
You say you changed the lines, did that include the rubber hoses? I've seen them act like 1-way valves and not let the caliper release.

I can't see how that could happen unless the flex hose is kinked...

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area
I've experienced rubber brake hoses hold brake pressure as well. The rubber cracks and lifts up inside the internal passage, acting as a one way valve. I didn't believe it myself but we cut into the line and found the spot where the hose was coming apart.

Byway, like PontiacGP suggested, open the bleeder to see if it is a hydraulic problem, or a physical problem like a frozen piston or sliders.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
AlanB said:
I've experienced rubber brake hoses hold brake pressure as well. The rubber cracks and lifts up inside the internal passage, acting as a one way valve. I didn't believe it myself but we cut into the line and found the spot where the hose was coming apart.

Byway, like PontiacGP suggested, open the bleeder to see if it is a hydraulic problem, or a physical problem like a frozen piston or sliders.

exactly. if you are putting pressure on the caliper piston and it's not moving, then you open the bleeder and it goes--you have a bad hose.
but...how hard is it to turn the rotor? are you just grabbing the lugs with your bare hand and having problems? or grabbing the edge of the rotor?

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
thanks for all the pointers, I tried the the bleeder screws today and they had a nice flow to them no geyser action, as for the rotor I was grabbing them on the edge and turning them by hand but in hindsight when I put the tire back on they were fairly easy to move with a slight drag, normal?, hoses look good crossing my fingers that it would be uncommon for both the lines to develop the one way action at the same time. For further trouble shooting I took her for a run around the block and the pedal is lllloooowwww, like there is pretty much no way I could panic stop this ship, I checked the bleeding again and everything bleeds solid fluid, no bubbles. So I jumped in with the key off and tested the booster by stepping on the pedal until she got rock hard and applied constant pressure didn't dive so that should be alright. So next up going to start her up and shoot soapy water at the booster and all connected hoses maybe I got leak there, but first I'm going to take a drink 8) And if no leaks, I'm guessing master cylinder, maybe the seals are going bad and letting fluid past or through its piston or vice verca. Hope that's not the case because if it is I'm heading to "itoldyousoville" from my cousin who's a heavy machine mechanic and thats the first thing he said when I talked to him about it :blam:

oh yeah failed to mention the pontiac 350 supposedly came with a r/v (previous owner let me know) cam throws a beat but with the flow master 40's it's exaggerated.

wade

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the back brakes set the level of the pedal...adjust the back and see what you get....oh and my offer is still open if you want to fly me down there to help... :mrgreen:

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
pontiacgp said:
the back brakes set the level of the pedal...adjust the back and see what you get....oh and my offer is still open if you want to fly me down there to help... :mrgreen:

Damn! I completely forgot about that everything back there is new too and I noticed that drums slide off easily although the brake shoes show that they are contacting the drums when I press the brake, I am going to have to adjust that and see what happens. :D and I heard that cargo is cheap so if you can fit yourself in a box I'll be here to open you up :D

side note: done soapin it up no leaks to anything connected to the booster or master cylinder.

wade

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the drums should be hard to slide on and when you turn the wheel there should be a little resistance from the shoes....

cargo may be cheap but it goes by weight so it may not be the way for me to travel and plus I have a fear of box cutters..I'll pass.. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor