New gauge project

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
Daytona Beach FL; Lexington NC
Posted on another site but i might get a broader audience here.

Found these in the local junkyard and remembered someone on here had them in their car. The gauges are out of a v8 1984 Firebird. The speedometer is electric.
My question is what will i need to make them work? Thanks for your help.

B6EB6C17-7ED6-4A1E-AA1C-1E747F88D17B-5927-000006863C9BB6B5_zpsd60a0574.jpg

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
those should look pretty cool in there!

I don't remember anyone putting thos in, but I know someone swapped in a gauge panel from an early 90's lesabre into their t-type... he had it here at the turbo nat's and really did a great job on it. be sure to make a thread on this one!

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
You got a picture of the back of the gauges? What sort of connectors do they have?

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Not that it matters, but those are not 1984. They are 1986+ with the electronic dash.

The entire dash has 1 serial bus type port that plugs into the car. I think it would be a lot of work to try and make it work because you would have to replicate the entire VSS module on your own.

This picture shows 2 ports, but its a digital dash. The regular dashes have the larger one only, that you see towards the left.
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp33 ... 1288567717

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first or last time, but, I do know they make electronic speedometer signal units that attach to the cable driven output of the transmission. Most of these are aftermarket designed to work with the same brand of gauge you're installing and most, if not all, will say not for use with OEM speedos. You may have to hope the donor Firebird is still sitting there with the drivetrain so you can rob the sending unit from the transmission. Not sure if it will screw right onto your existing transmission tho. Also not sure of the wiring of the unit. If you come up with an oem sending unit from a Firebird, check the year your getting it from. I have a few different year Firebird service manuals that would have wiring diagrams in them and maybe they would show for the speedo too. If my old memory holds out till the end of day, I also have Pontiac part number books for F-Bodies from 82-93 and I could check to see if the sending unit part number changed from year to year.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
online170 said:
They are 1986+ with the electronic dash.
I think it would be a lot of work to try and make it work because you would have to replicate the entire VSS module on your own.

If you are running a 200 4R, you should be able to use the VSS module from a later model Cadillac without a cable drive speedo. IIRC, GM standardized the PCM signal so it should be compatible with most GM speedos. I have not done this myself but have read about it in several forums.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
There are probably ways to do it. But not only is that gauge not part of the car, but its also now not part of the cluster.

What I am saying is, I don't know what circuit board type stuff happens from the gauge to the pin at the back of the cluster.

RDKLXPRS

Apprentice
Jan 19, 2013
Daytona Beach FL; Lexington NC
Here are some more pictures for reference to help everyone out. Again any help is appreciated.

Tachometer- i am assuming the 3 contectors can just be connected to the existing ports for the tach.

Speedometer

Circuit board that attaches to the spedomter.

So to start a list of what i would need:
1. A way to mount the gauges. They are bigger than factory.
2. A way to get the electronic speed signal.

Here are the pics from the original post I found. Slightly different gauges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor