New to site, long time gbody fan - just refinished my wheels

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Another option is you can have a single stage can mixed up with WA7725. Pricier, but if I ever need to do it again, that's what I'd do. I used Camel Tan Duplicolor 294 when I re-did mine. And yeah, it's PITA.
Most automotive paint shops will mix up any color and put it in a can. I've had this done before. It works great. And yes, it costs a bit more but worth it.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
For those of us that are new to painting, any recommendations for a quality tape?
Frog, Lime Line, and 3M Scotch are all good quality. Mainly, you want to avoid cheap hardware store brands and yellow/white/brown masking tape in general since the adhesive and paper are sub-par. You'll have bleed throughs and you'll play hell trying to get all the tape back off- cheap tape doesn't to pull off as cleanly. You also can't leave it on as long as the quality blue/green tape or you won't be peeling- you'll be scraping. Stick to automotive grade painter's tape and not household or general purpose tape for jobs you care about. I like to pull tape as soon as possible- I don't wait until the paint dries, and I advise against waiting that long.

Blue painter's tape is medium tack and green is high tack. For rough surfaces go with green. If tape is too sticky and you're concerned that it will cause damage by lifting a layer of paint upon removal, stick it to your shirt or jeans first. The tape will pick up some lint and now won't grab the work surface as tightly. Of course doing this is not recommended for super fine tape lines on show cars, but it's been done.

3M automotive grade tape is often referred to by color but there are more options than just blue/green, and you can choose other details when you order as well. We're looking for "233" and "471" tape for normal use, and 3M green Fine Line tape is 218. Fine Line tape is used for clean color separations like racing stripes.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

kkgkeane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2023
Whatever you end up choosing, please don't cheap out. Using quality solvents and tape is just as important as using quality paint.
Yes agree prep is key. I bought this 3/16 yellow tape from Hobby Lobby to mask the edges of the previous gold edges then used green painters tape and clear food wrap t protect chrome areas and tire. Takes about 45-60 minutes to properly tape and protect the wheel and tire but yes it is a PITA

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor