OEM Wheels for a 78 GP 4.9

carbolicsoap

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2023
I am looking to replace the wheels on my barn find GP with the same OEM look / style and am not having much luck.

I believe these are 14 x 6 rims running 195 x 75 x 14 tires. I was going to get the originals sandblasted and powdercoated but have been quoted a ridiculous amount, plus having the car up on jack stands while the process is going on. The nearest I found look wise were Dexstar but they don't seem to be the right size.

I can get the tires, but would appreciate where I can get suitable rims. It seems all rims being sold have air flow holes, whereas mine do not appear to have them.

Also if anyone has a lead on the original wheel covers that would be great.

Appreciate everyone's time.

James.

Attachments

• PXL_20230413_213009381.jpg
    PXL_20230413_213009381.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20230412_154323709.jpg
    PXL_20230412_154323709.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Original wheel covers. Which kind?

They had what I called an indented fin dish style as well, GM p/n 10001083 :

My first wife's 79 GP had spoke covers like this, and I believe they were available on 78 GP:

As far as the wheels, if these guys have 4 of them, you'd be miles ahead. Only like 67 and change each. 14 x 6

Reactions: 1 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I am looking to replace the wheels on my barn find GP with the same OEM look / style and am not having much luck.

I believe these are 14 x 6 rims running 195 x 75 x 14 tires. I was going to get the originals sandblasted and powdercoated but have been quoted a ridiculous amount, plus having the car up on jack stands while the process is going on. The nearest I found look wise were Dexstar but they don't seem to be the right size.

I can get the tires, but would appreciate where I can get suitable rims. It seems all rims being sold have air flow holes, whereas mine do not appear to have them.

James.

James.
My wheels looked terrible when I got them. One at a time I wire brushed, then sanded, and then wet sanded. Then took my time and taped everything off with masking tape. From the auto parts store I used spray cans starting with duplicolor rust fix and then the black and silver wheel paint. I was very satisfied with the results. They're not car show quality but definitely suitable for cruise night's. I did this a few years ago and they still look good.

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_152949.jpg
    IMG_20220521_152949.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: 1 users

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
My wheels looked terrible when I got them. One at a time I wire brushed, then sanded, and then wet sanded. Then took my time and taped everything off with masking tape. From the auto parts store I used spray cans starting with duplicolor rust fix and then the black and silver wheel paint. I was very satisfied with the results. They're not car show quality but definitely suitable for cruise night's. I did this a few years ago and they still look good.

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_121244.jpg
    IMG_20220522_121244.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 67
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was going to get the originals sandblasted
If you have a decent air compressor you can use one of these to blast your rims, it made quick work out of cleaning up a Monte SS rearend I sold plus it gets in all of the tight spots.
I use it for stuff that doesn't fit in my blast cabinet.

Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I have or had several sets. 14 inch 6 and 7 inch wide, 5 x 4.75. I also have some spoke covers OEM stainless steel spokes, most have Oldsmobile centers. I'm out of area this weekend but could look Monday.

Also there is an '85 GP in the yard, I can check early next week, and see what's there. Last I remember it was on OEM wheels, not sure if it had caps. Also there is an 84 Cutlass Coupe, V6 so it should have the 14 x 6 oem.

I don't currently have a blast cabinet, but could go pick one up. Been thinking of getting one anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I think in 78' you could get the Rally II or Rally IV (pictured above) plus different hubcaps like 69hurstolds posted. And the snowflake wheel would of been optional as well in a 14x6 size.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
here's the '79 options, probably very similar if not the same...

full

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor