Off The Hook: Using Oxalic Acid to Remove Rust From El Camino Bed Hooks

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
After roughly 6 hours in the same solution the original 6 cargo hooks showed no more signs of progress. That's not to say they wouldn't if I let them soak longer, but I dumped the old solution and mixed a new batch- 3 cups/ 4 Tbsp. I put the hooks into this new batch after scuffing them a bit with a green Scotch-Brite pad, and will let them continue to soak just to see what happens in another 6+ hours.

I also pulled out the other 4 hooks that have only soaked for 4 hours and have not hit the Scotch at all.
IMG_20230930_225406602.jpg IMG_20230930_225420926.jpg

After this photoshoot I placed them back into their plastic pasta bowls. No scrubbing was performed.

See you in 2 more hours.

Last edited:

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
It's been 3 hours since these hooks have last seen atmosphere, and this means they've officially been soaking for 7 hours. They have not been scraped, scrubbed, or scoured.
IMG_20231001_020601198.jpg IMG_20231001_020621408.jpg

And they're going right back in to continue marinating.

Last edited:

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
After 2 more hours you can see the rust is still slowly disappearing, even with no scrubbing or agitation at all.
IMG_20231001_041902858.jpg IMG_20231001_041933058.jpg

Back in they go.

Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Here they are after soaking for just over 13 hours.
IMG_20231001_075956735.jpg

At this point the liquid was no longer white in color, it was slightly yellow/ orange/ brown. Ya know, like rust. It also seemed to have weakened so I dumped it and made a new batch. The Barkeeper's Friend costs $2.25, and so far I've used close to half (10 oz). The progress may be slow but it's absolutely worth what I've invested. I checked on the original 6 hooks and they seem to have hit a wall, so to speak. I'm going to just let it ride.

Back in they go.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
This is what they look like after 7 more hours of me not doing a thing, they've just been soaking. Again you can see that the rust is slowly melting away.
IMG_20231001_153022476.jpg

Back in they go.

Nov 4, 2012
Evaporust is a fantastic product for this application. Non toxic and minimal labor.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
You're absolutely right, sir. EvapoRust would be an excellent choice for this situation and I certainly considered it. I'm just cheap, er uh, frugal. I'm interested in finding a way to make my own- the active ingredient is ammonia salt phosphonate, CAS 51503-61-8. As I understand it EvapoRust works by chelation, the same chemical principle that allows molasses to remove rust.

"What happens is that bacteria remove the rust by robbing the oxygen from iron oxide , because they need oxygen for their utilization of nutrients from the molasses so they can reproduce and proliferate. They are harmless and useful bacteria." - Antique Automobile Club of America Forum

"Chelating agents are chemical compounds that react with metal ions to form a stable, water-soluble complex. They are also known as chelants. Chelating agents have a ring-like center which forms at least two bonds with the metal ion allowing it to be excreted. Chelating agents are usually organic compounds (a compound that contains carbon). Specific chelating agents bind iron, lead, or copper in the blood and can be used to treat excessively high levels of these metals. Chelating agents may also be used in the treatment of heavy metal poisoning." - BYJU'S (Tutoring App)

Last edited:

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
After soaking in the Barkeeper's Friend solution for an additional 24 hours, the original 6 hooks appear to be done progressing. I believe this to be my fault, and a result of me using the wheel cleaner which contains Phosphoric Acid and Glycolic Acid.

The spots visible on the chrome hooks in the photos aren't rust, they're black oxide. The same thing happened when I soaked a rusty Craftsman wrench in vinegar- the whole thing turned black. These spots were black before soaking in the BF solution, and were a result of the wheel cleaner. The other 2 hooks that originally served as hood latches are still a very dull grey.
IMG_20231001_192536794.jpg

I haven't seen any forward progress with these 6 hooks in many, many hours. In total they soaked for about 27 hours.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor