oh boy. car wont crank after shorting alternator wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I also run the remote solenoid without issues. After installing it I don't think I would go back to the factory GM design. Something about an always hot power wire in close proximity to an even hotter exhaust just doesn't sound good.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
I am not saying it cant be done, just cant be done with one wire or one connection. lol

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Pontiac455 said:
I am not saying it cant be done, just cant be done with one wire or one connection. lol
When you make a new cable to go from the remote solenoid to the starter you crimp a 2" piece of 10ga wire with it and put a 1/4" ring terminal on it or add a strap to link both terminals or put a 3/8" ring terminal and a 1/4" ring terminal on a short piece of 10ga wire and mount it permanent to the starter, requires two nuts for the lead terminal.
Many ways to do it. But in the end only the lead cable goes to the starter, all other wires that used to connect at the starter now go to either the remote solenoid or a buss bar. The second two options allow you to remove and install the starter by removing or installing only one wire.
The wire to the starter and therefore the starter terminals are electrically dead unless the ignition is in the start position.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
someone should do a write up on this...showing the parts and the diagrams....sounds like it could fix a few, if not all, of my electrical problems....

Update: ..... it appears Jegs has a good write up on this ....so why not borrow it...lol

http://www.jegs.com/installationinstruc ... -10301.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor