oil pan, cutlass supreme, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vene09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2009
IDAHO
hello any one knows how hard is it to remove the oil pan on a 86 cutlass supreme 307? i need too replace the gasket!!!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
vene09 said:
hello any one knows how hard is it to remove the oil pan on a 86 cutlass supreme 307? i need too replace the gasket!!!

It can be done by raising the motor, but at that point you're only a few bellhousing bolts away from pulling it completely, which makes the gasket change MUCH easier.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
Depending on how handy you are, and if u have access to a lift you dont necessarily have to raise the motor. My brother changed mine for me ( he has a shop to use) and was able to pull the pan down a little bit and poke and pull and wiggle the seal under the pump.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
unfortunately i don't know thw construction on the 307, but here's a couple of things that may apply if trying to raise the motor...
pull the distributor cap so it can't hit the firewall, disconnect the exhaust manifold/headers from the pipes(not necessary but it can make moving the engine easier), check all wiring and plumbing to make sure they have slack--if not, disconnect them, you may want to unbolt the trans mount, remove the fan or shroud, watch the radiator hose to avoid kinking
depending on how far you have to raise it, not all of the above may be necessary.
oh, and DO NOT jack up on the harmonic balancer!!!!!
if you don't have a hoist, you may be able to jack up the motor off the pan, then shove 2x4's under the mounts to hold it. but be careful!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
megaladon6 said:
...oh, and DO NOT jack up on the harmonic balancer!!!!! ...

Much to my surprise, the Olds Chassis Service Manual actually shows jacking on the balancer as the recommended method. :eek:

The 307 balancer is solid. There is no rubber liner or external ring as there is on most balancers.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
IDK, i don't trust it to not tweak the crank, bearings, cover, or seal.

vene09

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2009
IDAHO
thanks for the tips everyone!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor