Oil Pressure Concern..

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Hey guys I'm coming to my g body family once again for some advice on this oil pressure issue. The issue you ask? It's low.. or at least low enough to worry me. Cold start pressure is somewhere in the 15psi range.. but drops to just around 1 or 2 psi after hot. Never goes above maybe, 28 psi? Fresh rebuilt 355 with some goodies.. I bought the engine with "only a couple miles" on a rebuild. I did drop the pan to visually inspect, but thats about as far as that went. Everything was new and shiney! Haha. I should also mention that I had these readings with my 305 before the swap.. Could this be a miscommunication between the sending unit and the gauge? I've already replaced the sending unit as well.

A buddy of mine told me I just need to buy a mechanical gauge and call it a day. I ran this car at the 1/4 track a good 15 times last month and didnt hear any knocking! Ha - He claims I would of had some issues if I were racing with that low of oil pressure..

sidenote: Using 10w30 oil

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
I'm just a bit of a worry wart when it comes to my gem. I just ordered this gauge kit http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R5G0DO/?tag=gbody-20 So now I will just wait for it to get here.. Get to finally test my trans pressures as well. Another battle I've been having.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Spend the $30 or so and get yourself a mechanical gauge. That will tell you right then and there if you have an issue. I wouldnt even mount it in the car yet, just hook it up with it laying on the inner fender. 10 minutes of work at the most.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If you are still low after getting a good reading, who ever built the engine may have forgot to put the mystery plug in!!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think if the engine is actually running at those low pressures, I think you would have heard the thing clacking away. Noisy valve train, rod knock, etc. Plus the fact that you did a few 1/4 mile runs, I think you would have fried it for sure.

I agree with the rest of the guys, treat yourself to a good mechanical gauge, even if it's just to confirm the oil pressure numbers. It's cheap insurance.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Heres what I got. I really dont like the random gauges around the interior.. Thanks for the input. I'm going to be saving up for the Dakota Digital Analog gauges. It also seems I caught the fever.. ended up ordering some Eibach lowering springs as well :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 4.39.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 4.39.52 PM.png
    253.1 KB · Views: 173

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I guess I don't understand - I would have never run the engine w/ that pressure and would want to know immediately what the real pressure is ??

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I guess I don't understand - I would have never run the engine w/ that pressure and would want to know immediately what the real pressure is ??
x2

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Plugged oil pick up. Wrong bearing clearances, bad gauge. 10 psi for ever 1000 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor