Olds 358 build

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Just in time for snow? Canada is a dick.
We have actually had gorgeous weather, talking 65F and hardly any frost this fall. After today, reality sets in and here comes Winter😪.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Trying to get up to Nova Scotia to see friends. Hopefully I can make it there before snow arrives
Hopefully. There Winter isn't nearly as cold as onbthe Canadian Prairies.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I drained the oil again. It will get VR1 10W30 and a Wix 51258 oil filter.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Had issues and it would start, pissed around with a whole but of settings and finally it ran. Still having issues with the TPS, may have to splurge for Speedmaster's TPS.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I got Mark Remmel advice and he said Holley's tune is rich and I inputed 325 CID instead of 358. It still wanted to be difficult to start and idled at 2000 rpm then finally smartened up idled around 850 rpm, my target was 770 rpm, close enough. Looking at the Speedmaster TPS, the dirty buggers modified a mid 80's Ford 302 TPS with a small D shaped internal contact vs the 2 prong style which is slightly two large for TPS contact arm. I tried modifying the GM style TPS but even moving the holes sticks the the primary throttle blades. I ordered the Speedmaster sensor, over $150 Canadian plus $40 CAD shipped for the TPS adapter, really stupid an adapter is needed. It still puts it well under the Holley by about $200 CAD but the Holley includes a MAT sensor built in. But I haven't heard the greatest about Holley's sensors for reliability either. I am also ordering NGK 7355 spark plugs, the Iridium version of the XR5 spark plug.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Got the TPS cobbled with the GM sensor and got it out of the garage under Holley EFI power for the first time! It needs more learning and tuning, I may try more timing at idle, stalled quite a few times when put into gear, currently at 30 degrees

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, I picked up two new fuel pressure sensors. The one in there was reading 111 psi. I also have a gauge coming. I tried both replacements, one read 28/29 psi, the other 31/32 psi. The oil pressure sensor is the same sensor. It reads within 5 psi, reading lower than the gauge, 70 cold and 28 or 29 hot at idle in gear around 750 to low 800's rpm with 10W30 VR1. I swapped sensors, oil pressure is the same, fuel now 46/47 psi at idle. So fuel pressure may be close, will see once the gauge arrives, should be 58 psi. I decided to drain the oil again, much less on the magnetic drain plug and less glitter in the oil. I changed to Lucas Hot Rod oil, 5 quarts of 10W30 and 1 quart of 20W50 I had sitting around. It now has 80 psi cold, didn't check hot, more on that. I got the new Speedmaster TPS and wired it in, would not set, wouldn't read above 1 volt. No mater how I wired it, still didn't work! I spent hours and tried everything. Other two TPS sensors set and work, a Ford 5L and chebby LT1 TPS. The issue is the D shape needed vs the two prong, which is what they are. I ordered a LS sensor which also has a D shaped contact. Even if I have to drill and tap the TB to it's pattern, it should work and are available everywhere. I should be able to mount however is needed to work, rotation wise. The Speedmaster throttle body uses the LS IAC, not sure why they didn't out right make the LS TPS work is idiotic. Should have saved for the $1300 CAD Wilson throttle body. The Holley was on back order and could have went Edelbrock for above $200 more. It is a well made throttle body, hope this helps anyone going SEFI.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ok, so this Speedmaster throttle body has been giving me fits. The LS TPS doesn't have the right sweep and doesn't bolt on anyways. I reordered the Ford TPS since I damaged the tang in the one I had, only a $30 sensor. I cut off the D out of the defective new Speedmaster sensor so the arm won't jam in an off the shelf, cheap Ford sensor. I also found my TPS sticking issue on the Speedmaster throttle body, the Allen head bolt that tightens down the arm to throttle blades was loose. It allowed the throttle blades to stay open independent of the linkage, only sometimes, not good at all. I actually put back on the other throttle body as the later TBI/ LT1 TPS sort of works with it. But it has a slot shaft so the throttle arm moves a bunch before the TPS registers. Not sure why these chesp throttle bofies have oddball TPS setups. I have an adapter coming for it as well. I am going to take it for a drive today for the first time, since the snow is finally gone.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor