Greasemonkey
Dec 19, 2012
Triana
Can someone help me understand my current set-up:

1971 olds engine with the following intake and carb
:
1.JPG
2.JPG

I was told that I have a chevy carb; although I purchased the carb expressly as an "Olds carb". Any recommendations on the carb that would work best with my motor and intake?

Also, I'm also being told that the dual plane aluminum intake I purchased is not as good as the stock intake that comes with the '71 Rocket. Is that true?

Can someone please shed some light on those questions??

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
been awhile since your posted so dunno if you figured your issue out or not but the chevy carb im assuming is referring to the fuel inlet and possibly linkage for the tv cable and accelerator cable,olds motors have a bit different setup for the linkages from a chevy.
to my knowledge the non edelbrock rpm manifolds flow basically the same as a stock olds intake manifold so not much gain there but if you have an old cast iron intake which being a 71 you probably did it would cut quite a chunk of weight off the engine which is never a bad thing

Mich's87442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2016
West Seneca, NY
Just a little FYI on those Edelbrock made Quadrajet carburetors. They came with "truck" metering rods in them. I was clued into this after I almost smoked a new 350/330hp Chevy crate engine I had in my Corvette before the LS1 engine. I was on a chassis dyno trying to dial the carb in. It went dangerously lean at 5000-6000 rpms. So after talking with a well known carburetor dude (Lars) in the Corvette world, he explained why the carb would go lean at high revs. So I switched over to another Q-Jet set up by SMI Induction. A big difference and the A/F ratios stayed good through the whole rpm range. So if your going to be doing any racing I would either try to find "car" metering rods or another Q-Jet so you don't run the chance of melting something in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor