OLDS Oldsmobile V-8 Engine Builder Recommendations? (in the mid-Atlantic Region)

Maryland G-man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
May 12, 2023
I am seeking recommendations on Oldsmobile V-8 engine builders from G-Body Forum members who have used them. Some considerations include:

• Location: near the states of MD, DE, NJ, or PA. I live in Maryland, and seek a, engine builder that is in a drivable distance (or Uber ride).
  • Not a "generic" engine builder, but rather one aware of the nuances of Oldsmobile V-8 engines.
  • In house Cylinder Head Porting capability.
  • Cost: what are reasonable costs for doing a full rebuild? I paid well over $ 10 k for a rebuild of a 1971 Mopar 340 engine.
  • Turnaround time: 3 to 6 months, after receipt of engine, is what I have seen. This is separate from a "wait list" to get your engine into the shop.
  • Warranty; 12 months seems pretty standard; I learned that oil leaks are not necessarily covered, because some OEM engines leaked when even brand new.
  • "Property Lines": I have heard some engine builders limit the scope of their rebuilds. Like, anything beyond the block, heads, ignition, and (maybe) intake manifold is the "car", not the engine.
  • Car vs. engine: looks like there are no engine shops where you can drop off your car, they pull the engine, rebuild it, and put it back in the car.
  • Will the engine builder accept "B.Y.O.B." ? That is, Bring Your Own Block! ;) In other words, you as a customer would be providing the basic engine to be rebuilt.
  • I am aware of these engine builders. Has anyone used them for an Oldsmobile V-8 engine rebuild:

Eddies Performance Motors is in New Jersey and seems to do some Oldsmobile specialty work. JB's Auto Machine is in Maryland, and does GM, Ford, and Chrysler engines. P.I.E. is in Delaware, and while they say they will work on a GM engine, they really like to specialize in old, and new, Mopar V-8 engines.

Are there any other Engine Builders in this region of the USA (i.e. vicinity of Maryland) ?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think Eddies $6,800 for a turn key Olds 350/350 is a pretty good price but I would want a hydraulic roller camshaft upgrade.

Maryland G-man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
May 12, 2023
565bbchevy: thanks for your input. Have you or anyone that you know ever used Eddies to rebuild an engine? I am seeking firsthand experience. After all, Mondello's website says essentially the same thing as Eddies (not that I am putting them in the same category).

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
565bbchevy: thanks for your input. Have you or anyone that you know ever used Eddies to rebuild an engine? I am seeking firsthand experience. After all, Mondello's website says essentially the same thing as Eddies (not that I am putting them in the same category).
Sorry no experience with Eddies, but I do like that they send you pictures during assembly and a running video.
Olds anything isn't cheap so it seems like a good price for a drop in and go engine.
For me I just pay for block machine work and then assemble it myself.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 307 is a special case and would need custom pistons to add power and a good amount of head work. Something like a Mahle Powerpack 1mm ring pack custom piston in the bore, pin, compression height and dish is a good choice. The Lunati High Efficiency series flat tappet cam 207/207 .461/.461 112 LSA would be computer friendly and an improvement over the Vin 9 cam. A roller is crazy expensive for an Olds V8. There have been issues with the hydraulic roller lifters. The Comp Cams Evolution lifters are supposed to be the answer but even that is questionable. I have a set were $800 US. Most builders have been using BAM solid roller lifters with hydraulic roller lifter cams. The heads will need extensive work. Super Stock and Dale Robinson actually moved and actually shrunk the ports with Epoxy. At minimum bowls ported and 1.875/1.56 350 valves if you want an improvement. Hopefully wait time isn't as bad as here. Myself and another guy saw a year plus wait times at 3 different shops up here, two provinces apart. On top of that, stuff either not done right or not at all.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor