On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are those scales yours Mr. Fancypants?
No, borrowed.

Working on my instant center as well. Here's the initial measurements :

IC worksheet 11.13.23.jpg

I believe my antisquat needs to be closer to 150-160%. But I'm consulting with Mac at SSM on that.

Now it's onto motor, cutting weight and hopefully painting properly.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Some carnage for those interested. I broke a crank bob weight off from the crank .

I’m thinking the rod exploded because the piston barely touched the head (one mark in the photo.) The heads are reusable lol. But I’m not sure if the bob weight broke off 1st - I guess anything is possible.

I’m definitely putting the aluminum 5.3 back in. The 100lbs off the front end is worth it let alone the extra 25+ci. I have a crank at the machine shop getting rebalanced - and I’ll be pinning this one to keep from wrecking another snout.

IMG_2252.jpeg IMG_2255.jpeg IMG_2256.jpeg IMG_2257.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
IMG_2291.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’ve mentioned previously that my goals with this car keep dropping E.T. wise. But I guess that’s how racing goes.

I’m going to get this car into the 8’s or it will be the death of me lol. And it will still pull a 1500+lb trailer and be daily driver capable getting 15mpg+.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Small update. I’ve been gathering parts. I found some larger wrist pins, balanced another crank, finally have had a proper valve job done along with some ghetto head porting, and of course more turbo - a ball bearing Pulsar unit that should max out around 1300 hp. Expectation is that the turbo will be more controllable and build boost quicker.

I’m thinking I’ll be able to get the weight to sub 3650 with me in it (300 less than last time out.)

Regarding the wrist pins, the standard Summit Pro LS pins that came with my summit pistons aren’t holding up (surprisingly).

By the 1st of Feb I’ll be all in on getting everything done in two months.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I think we have blown past "cheap" on this project and continue to run fast into expensive!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I think we have blown past "cheap" on this project and continue to run fast into expensive!!!!
Depends on your definition of cheap. But yeah, I’m past 10k by a couple.

Another member here has offered sme some take off parts from his car for a VERY reasonable price. If he comes through, then new update haha.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Was that a cast crank? The graining of the metal that shows on the inner diameter has me thinking a casting here. Stock rods or? Block gonna be re-useable or has it become a sacrifice on the altar of speed?

Nick

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Was that a cast crank? The graining of the metal that shows on the inner diameter has me thinking a casting here. Stock rods or? Block gonna be re-useable or has it become a sacrifice on the altar of speed?

Nick

From my understanding all LS cranks are forged - perhaps internet hoopla - not sure.

The rod exploded - 4 pieces of clean breaks. The piston nicked the head barely. The other 7 plugs were all in tact, the remaining ring lands looked fine. It was the limit of that particular rod AFAIC. Was that a weak rod or was that the 1st one to give up the ghost - I truly don’t know. But 35+psi on Gen 3 4.8 rods and crank and was pushing it too far.

*make mental note haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor