On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If anyone thinks that I look like a spaz in the car, then please realize...............

I am ;)

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If anyone thinks that I look like a spaz in the car, then please realize...............

I am ;)

I just thought it was funny the way the hood cowl flopped around and the seat swinging forward under braking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Summit Midwest Drags 2023 is in the books. A new PB every day - so I have no complaints.

This is the best I could do throughout the week. Saved it for the last day haha (not really - I tried like hell all week). The weather sucked for going fast - humidity through the roof and Virginia weather 90 degrees or so. I've looked over the logs too many times to recount. I'm sure that cooler weather, or some night racing would help me by a .1. But I'm still missing some ET for the amount of boost and fuel consumption that I'm seeing - I SHOULD BE FASTER AT 33PSI!

I'm sill in disbelief that this thing has more left in it. The attached videos were taken by the young lady that gave me the car (how strange is that??) She is a professional photographer for a couple of teams that run the PDRA series. She setup an in car camera as well that she still has to send me the vids from.

The problems encountered - a rear caliper got a little too hot and locked up during the 6+ hour drive on day one; I blew the FPR boost reference line off on day 3 and made it to 41 psi of boost before the boost cut shut off the motor - thank you Bosch 210's and Holley closed loop correction - never leaned out and saved the motor.

View attachment 224617

View attachment 224618
View attachment 224619
View attachment 224620
View attachment 224622
What was the best ET? Am I missing something?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’ve had some ups and downs since MW Drags. In a nutshell, I hurt the 5.3 ………. terminally.

A tuned ‘safety’ in my tune didn’t work as planned and it created somewhat of a mess. I lifted both heads. It was obvious from the datalogs - the coolant pressure kept creeping higher and higher after the initial issue. I pulled the heads and had them checked for flatness - they weren’t flat any longer. I had them planed - it took a .006” cut to get them back to ‘flat’.

The real issue was a vertical, jagged mark in #8 bore and a fair amount of vertical scoring in #2 bore from the piston skirt swelling. I put it all back together and test ran it - #8 was the real issue. The vertical, jagged mark after removal of the head, a second time, revealed that the mark was a crack in the bore. This was definitely a ‘down’ in the ups and downs.

The ups : the original Gen 3 4.8, that had collapsed a lifter, is in with the lifters from the 5.3 as well as the new, shimmed oil pump from the 5.3. And it runs like a champ. The 5.3’s heads, crank, bearings, forged rods and 6 of 8 forged pistons are reusable. Also the BTR cam is fine. Of course the steel block 4.8 is a ‘down’ - another 50+lbs is something I don’t need with with a 30ci smaller motor. But, it ‘is what it is’ at the moment haha.

I don’t think that I can break my PB with this motor. So I’m going to ride out the rest of the year with it (hopefully). I have a 6.0 that needs some machine shop work to get into shape along with a set of pistons. But I won’t have time to get all of that work done before Drag Week that’s 30 days from now. I also picked up another good LC9 alum 5.3 with 243 heads over the weekend. So I have some options moving forward.

I’m thinking I might run a 10.0 bracket class at DW which is something that I can be competitive in. And considering that I’ve never been competitive in the 8.50 class because I’m missing the last 200-300hp to run 8.50, it might be a different adventure that I’m thinking will be fun.

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Out with the 5 relays to run the fans, manual fan switch and to active the boost solenoids (Max Valves).

Looks a little better and will be much easier to work on.

IMG_1916.jpeg

IMG_1915.jpeg

This was the previous pile of spaghetti that I had. I will say that none of this mess ever let me down, but it was a nightmare every time I dug into it to add something.

IMG_1846.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

The 4.8 made it to the dyno today. Is ready for DW next month. Made 13 or 14 pulls starting at 10 psi and ending at 25. Tried more boost and the cam is done.

This motor is amazing as far as I’m concerned. Take note of the lack of smoke on accel and decel. This thing is dryer than a popcorn fart as well. Last time I had it in the car it had a smaller turbo.

All I can say is there is no such thing as too much turbo, only not enough converter and cam. The Sloppy Stage 2 was done at 25 psi. We added 2 and then 3 more psi and it made the same number - 853 +\- 1 .

Ending number :

IMG_1923.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don’t think it’s the cam, but rather the springs or lifter preload.

I’m swapping to a spring with another 30lbs on the seat (that are new), and I’m going to mess with lifter preload a little and see what happens.

DW ‘23 prep is underway. Less than 3 weeks away ;)

Lastly, pro tip of the day, when you mount a coolant pressure sensor, it works better when it’s below the heads.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not often I find a headlight photo. Low beams on the centers - not your typical G haha.

IMG_1952.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That photo was from last night - today I pulled off the ‘on engine’ valve spring swap and head stud swap. A friend told he’s done the stud swap without removing the heads so I tried it. If it goes bad you’ll know what I’ll be doing this week haha.

I measured lifter preload on multiple lifters, and I’m not at a number that the interwebs says is ‘good’. .045-.050”. On Tuesday I’m going to contact BTR and get their opinion . The popular internet opinion seems to be a minimum of .060” and upto .120” depending on the lifter.

I know that I’m lighter on preload due to the increased HG thickness. 🤷

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor