Open vs limited slip

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
I have a 350 crate/th350 trans. I have bought a set of Richmond 3.42 gears and have a chance to get a Yukon diff carrier for $150. I have a 1978 Malibu all stock for now. When I check fitment on Summit it says it won’t fit. I thought all Gbody rears were interchangeable? Question is will it be good enough for a weekend cruiser? Not really going to take it to the track. Maybe occasionally step on it or do burnouts. I have 18x8 Torq Thrust II with 245/45.

Attachments

• IMG_2966.png
    IMG_2966.png
    653 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2965.png
    IMG_2965.png
    818.7 KB · Views: 22
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Just get the Moser 28 spline axles. Those axles will get that rear about as strong as it can get.

Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Here's the Moser axles. Not sure off the top of my head what to do for studs. Yours should be 7/16" x 20, and the stock size knurl would be too small for the Moser ends. I believe they are drilled for the '82-'88 metric studs. Maybe someone will chime in with a solution.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I thought these cars were factory 26 Spline but then again that might be S10 and Fbody stuff that was.
Yes, as far as I know that is true, but the diff he's looking at is a Yukon brand. Hopefully he gets the right axles for it.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yes, as far as I know that is true, but the diff he's looking at is a Yukon brand. Hopefully he gets the right axles for it.
That's exactly it right there, I read that part I was telling him what would work with the factory axles.

Would highly recommend upgrading over the stock axles so that extra $150 just turned into an extra $500+.. which is the law of cars.

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
That's exactly it right there, I read that part I was telling him what would work with the factory axles.

Would highly recommend upgrading over the stock axles so that extra $150 just turned into an extra $500+.. which is the law of cars.

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF
I might have to reconsider and just buy a different carrier.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor