Optional Tach Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

markcp

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2007
Just purchased an Auto Meter Tach for my 78 Monte. I thought I had a good spot for the mounting location? I was going to mount it right past the key switch on the steering column, but that moves with the PNRD indicator. I didn't realize that moved with the floor shifter. Duh.... Looking for ideas or pictures where the after market tachs are mounted.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
tach

all you have to do to put the tach on the column is to take the cable off of the lower end of the column and wire the lever in the up position so the column won't move ...jesse

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Then it won't shift as the shift linkage works through the column on floor shift cars. Plus, eliminating the column movement will also eliminate the back up lights in reverse unless you go with an aftermarket shifter with a built in switch and neutral safety.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
This is about the best picture i can show you right now, but my tach is mounted on like the gauge surrounding? i dunno how to really explain it but here is a little showing of where it is.

DSC_0019.jpg

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Then it won't shift as the shift linkage works through the column on floor shift cars. Plus, eliminating the column movement will also eliminate the back up lights in reverse unless you go with an aftermarket shifter with a built in switch and neutral safety.
It'll shift if you disconnect the rod from the transmission to the column. Then you can lock the collar in P just fine. All that rod does is keep the (like you said) gear shift indicator, P/N safety and backup lights in working order. two cotter pins and that rod is out. one at the firewall and one at a bracket down where the cable connects to the trans. I'll try to find a pic.

EDIT: Grabbed from the '81 SM, and 1 cotter pin and a nut, not two pins! Getting old....

backdrivelinkage.jpg

markcp

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2007
GP403 said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
It'll shift if you disconnect the rod from the transmission to the column. Then you can lock the collar in P just fine. All that rod does is keep the (like you said) gear shift indicator, P/N safety and backup lights in working order. two cotter pins and that rod is out. one at the firewall and one at a bracket down where the cable connects to the trans. I'll try to find a pic.

EDIT: Grabbed from the '81 SM, and 1 cotter pin and a nut, not two pins! Getting old....

backdrivelinkage.jpg

I did just that and works great. I didn't want to start drilling into the dash.
Thanks for the help. Mark

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Just curious did anything in the 78/80 body come with a factory tach?

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
What kind of motor gear cam do you have now? Drag car? What do you shift at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor