parts car questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyO

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2022
I was walking through the local junk yard and noticed they have been scrapping way too many of the cars from my go to sections. I went hoping I could get some rear manual window regulators for my cutlass from this Malibu. No luck. But I started thinking about picking this car up for parts, and I will sell what I don’t want or need. I’m newer to the G body world so I have no clue what’s desirable?

I’d like to buy it for the bumpers, will they fit up ok on my 79 Olds cutlass saloon? Their chrome is in good shape and they don’t have impact strips.

G body control arms are the same as 2wd s10 control arms aren’t they? I need a set for my s10.

Attachments

• D3295EF2-DBC8-497C-B112-1102F789692C.jpeg
    D3295EF2-DBC8-497C-B112-1102F789692C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
  • 6E7251F5-3DAF-4781-973F-056F613B08CE.jpeg
    6E7251F5-3DAF-4781-973F-056F613B08CE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 6BB46072-AE21-48FE-ACFF-A73A4BEF7866.jpeg
    6BB46072-AE21-48FE-ACFF-A73A4BEF7866.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
  • BE4BBF38-673D-469E-BB6C-37F6CE12B202.jpeg
    BE4BBF38-673D-469E-BB6C-37F6CE12B202.jpeg
    879.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 815E181D-8992-4929-BE7E-7BAC6FA84081.jpeg
    815E181D-8992-4929-BE7E-7BAC6FA84081.jpeg
    652.6 KB · Views: 70

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i can't speak to your bumper situation but scoop those tail lights up,they're not being reproduced and aren't cheap when you find them.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
TonyO You know no G body ever had rear window regulators, right?

Vent glass moves, but never the large window.

Also, my understanding is the S10 uses a larger through-bolt on the lower arm bushings, so the arms would not be a direct plug and play without changing the bushings

Reactions: 1 users

TonyO

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2022
Thanks for the replies!

So I would be very glad to be able to sell some parts to help re coup the cost of the car. It won’t be very much because it’s very rough, and I’d just be happy to sell some parts to folks who may need them.

Well I was kind of hoping it had rear regulators, because I also have a 78 century saloon, and it has rear power windows. So I was guessing the Malibu would have manual regs, but it’s a sedan so maybe that’s where it got hung up.

For the control arms, I have a 91 s10 that’s got a V8, slammed, and a 8.8. It was a frame off build my dad and I did 20 years ago. A 8.8 allows me to run c5 vette wheels with no spacers in the rear. I currently have 2.5” spacers in the front. Well I can’t get them out of my head when I’m cutting the corners hard. My plan was to either widen stock arms, or make new ones from scratch using the stock ones just as templates for the measurements. I know it’s not something that just anyone should do, there’s a ton of thought to it, it’s above my head….I’m very willing and capable to fabricate just about anything. So I’d like to use these arms to create the jigs to make them. Sorry for the rant lol. If the arms have the same dimensions I would be glad. I always thought G bodies had a taller spindle was the only difference, but changing bushings on the stock ones is no problem.

Thanks again, and I hope no one minds if I part it out on here, I know some groups I’ve been involved with (Porsche 914s) want to lynch me for parting something that was literally folded in the middle.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So, if I read that right, you're saying that the rear door windows "in the door" roll down on your Buick?

I've seen switches on the rear doors, but they usually operate the vent glass behind the door (78-80) or in the rear of the door 81+

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Actually you are helping save them. According to the pics you probably have some frame rot, but overall you have good panels I.E.: roof, trunk, hood, fenders, inside interior even though it's dirty right now, tilt wheel.... The List goes on

A friend of mine that owns a salvage yard in middle Indiana scrapped out 86 or older about 12 years ago. No one was buying and $$ went up per ton..., so all crushed. Try finding two matching tail lights for a 90 Bonneville... Good Luck!!

2 weeks ago I bought seven BOP transmissions from local yard. Do I need them ? No. But some day some one else might. So they will get rebuilt and palletized and stored for now.

People talk, say nasty hateful things, that's only because you have character they will never have. If you can get the Malibu for good price and have place to store with out risk of wife putting a hit out on you... I would go get it. Current worth is at least a grand or more in parts.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
... I would go get it. Current worth is at least a grand or more in parts.
While I agree for the most part, location has a lot to do with it. I have never had much luck locally trying to sell G body stuff. I did sell some Malibu front parts, and a friend has sold a couple of front clips at giveaway prices just to get them gone. He says he always get the guys expecting him to have bucket seats, tach dashes, posi rears 2004Rs, etc, despite none of the stuff he has parted being cars that would have had them.

If there's a market, go for it!

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
While I agree for the most part, location has a lot to do with it. I have never had much luck locally trying to sell G body stuff. I did sell some Malibu front parts, and a friend has sold a couple of front clips at giveaway prices just to get them gone. He says he always get the guys expecting him to have bucket seats, tach dashes, posi rears 2004Rs, etc, despite none of the stuff he has parted being cars that would have had them.

If there's a market, go for it!
Yes quite right on location. Also depends on price to pick it up. My past GF had a Malibu almost identical to this one, of course it was on the road and driven every day. She sold it for 500 and today maybe 3000 would be good starting price. Just never know. It is probably part of a toaster or washing machine now.

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
While having a parts car or two to work with can be desirable, the ugly mantra, location, location, location, usually rears its head at some point. Scoring a parts car is just the start of the battle, You have to be able to stash it somewhere and better be living in a rural setting or the neighborhood NIMBY patrol will be pounding on your door and whining at you about eye sores and planning violations and complaints and by-law officers and all that officious drivel.

The other source of protest will be your significant other. Unless she is an all out car nut then any acquistions that you make just become triggers that will send her into complaint mode. If you have a budget stashed for a buy then better make sure you have at least as much also on hand to spend on the house or furniture or paint or a vacation or something else typically found on the appeasement list.

Nick

TonyO

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2022
So, if I read that right, you're saying that the rear door windows "in the door" roll down on your Buick?

I've seen switches on the rear doors, but they usually operate the vent glass behind the door (78-80) or in the rear of the door 81+
Well I haven’t tried to roll the windows down in that car yet. Got it towed home and it’s sat there since. I assumed the whole window comes down? But I’m wrong all the time so I’m not sure. There’s no 1/4 window though.

Attachments

• D12B70B0-5C88-4210-9626-33777404C030.jpeg
    D12B70B0-5C88-4210-9626-33777404C030.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor