Performance 307 build!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

80Maliboo

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2010
FE3X CLONE said:
Is it anything near what a Chevy has for availabilty? No but that's whats nice. You don't see everyone and their brother with the same combination out there on the street.

Thats totaly incoherant. If there is a limited selection the likelyhood that more than one person is running the same combo is enhanced.

Like i said and you agreed; olds parts are more expensive and there is a limited selection of parts compaired to chevy parts. I dont see how theres a disagreement there.

Im not about to explain why the sbc design is betther than something else because I dont care for the flaming from the olds zealouts, but all in all it looks like were on the same page....

FE3X CLONE said:
You better know what your doing. Your following a build from Dale on ROP who built that 307 for the engine masters challenge. A lot of the stuff he's done is some pretty tricky machining, etc. Just reciting what you read in a magazine will not make an engine run. Dale has a TON of hours just in the heads alone on that engine.
I would not consider that 435HP 307 to be one a young guy should start out trying to duplicate. Maybe someday but you need to stick with something a bit more realistic to get your feet wet.

Also keep in mind, your not breaking any new ground here. Guys have run 307's in the 11's for years so we know they can perform. However, these cars have a LOT of gear and the spin the crap out of them. Their rear gears typically are in the 6.xx range.

The issue here is that all of what your planning to do to get your 307 into the 14's could also be done to a 350 Olds and you'd be well in the 12's AND be much more driveable.
Hear hear

dogshit said:
Maliboo, Lots of people out there that think like you do until somebody else gets the opportunity & takes their money then they just shut up & disappear. Ask me how I know :rofl: The truth is or the facts are that all engines have their pros & cons some of which make certain engines better for certain tasks. The SBC 1 was not superior to the other three 350s of their time just the most common. The single biggest thing it had on its side was economies of scale.

I would give any olds engine in a car that whooped me, or one of my friends cars i frequently work with, its just respect, but until that time keep dreaming.
You ccan make anything fast, and when youre talking about going fast its never been an uncommon practice for racers to put engines that dont belong in their car, in their car. I guess this is why there is such a plethora of oldsmobile motors out there ready to beat up on chevy sb/bbs... Face it, if they were renowned for being powerhouses people would be flocking to olds motors left and right. Its not only the quantity of sb's/bbs produced that make them shine over other GM engines. I used to be a die-hard pontiac v8 guy when i was a teenager, then i started wrenching and looking to make power. Unfortunately for little 17 year old me it blew my ideal world away when the real world hit me. Now Im a chevy guy.

307's running 11s are no where near anything streetable. Period. Anything to do with the engine, chassis, or drivetrain is going to be unstreatable to achieve this. Compression will be sky high, more than likely a ladder bar or a very uncomfortable/unsafe suspension setup for the street, and rediculously high gearing.

PS: Sorry for making 4 seperate posts. I was trying to edit everything into one but it didnt work.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
oops,ran somewhere at 11.50s or later 11's.Point of the story is oldsmobile can achieve performance,chevy isnt the only maker to do this buddy.And yes,Summit and jegs catalogs arent very big on oldsmobiles,but there are many suppilers of oldsmobile performance parts,like for instance,Mondellotwister.com,you know Dr. Olds himself and oldsperformanceproducts.com

80Maliboo

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2010
Minion you might want to change your signature....it appears you have 11 to 77.1 compression.

And im sorry, I still dont buy 11s (even 11.99s) with a 2.56 gear and 400 horse in a full weight cutlas unless youre spraying. Youd be lucky to get 12s out of that. Mind if I ask what gas youre running?

Again, Im sorry if it looks like im trying to flame anyone, Im really not.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
80Maliboo said:
Minion you might want to change your signature....it appears you have 11 to 77.1 compression.

And im sorry, I still dont buy 11s (even 11.99s) with a 2.56 gear and 400 horse in a full weight cutlas unless youre spraying. Youd be lucky to get 12s out of that. Mind if I ask what gas youre running?

The times he is saying are from a totally different car. If you read his post on page 2, you would see that he said the car the engine was in had 3.42 gears and completely gutted.

80Maliboo

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2010
dan2286 said:
80Maliboo said:

The times he is saying are from a totally different car. If you read his post on page 2, you would see that he said the car the engine was in had 3.42 gears and completely gutted.

:oops:

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
it runs on 110 super unleaded and 93 octane,i forget the percentage at where i have to mix them.In my cutlass,with full interior,and non a/c with 2.56s it wont be 11's,if you saw i was talking about the ets of the DRAG CAR,no MY car.They're two different cars,one was a drag car and one is a street car.

80Maliboo

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2010
gotcha. My appolagies.

But to further my original point and no offence meant, you have a gutted non-pump gas car that runs 11s. I dont know your engine combo, so Im not going to compare it with a similar displacement sbc and say its better because of this or that. What I will say is that it shouldnt take a gutted non-pump gas race car to get 11s.

Unless maybe...its olds powered :popcorn:

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
thank you for correcting me.As for this thread,having a 307 make 435 horsepower is a crazy idea,dont get me wrong when i say i thought about it when i first saw the popular hotrodding article a while back,but i'd like to imagine all the hours they put into that engine and the amount of money too.I'd only do it to be unique,you can build a 350 or even a 455 with that kind of power with only half the cost of building that 307.I like the ideas of turning a 350 or a 455 into what looks like a 307,satin black paint,having the a/c,stock height valve covers and even running air tubes and the ecm,this idea would be much easier to make possible than hotrodding a little 307.Robert Powers has done something similar to what i'm talking about.http://www.robertpowersmotorsports.com/86Cutlass.html

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
80Maliboo said:
jrm81bu said:
80Maliboo said:
FYI in the world of performance anything that is arround 1.2-1.5 hp per cube is considered MILD.

Wow, so a 600hp 400 small block is mild. And I guess that would make a ten second car slow too, right?

600 horse 400 is on the high end of mild yes. 10 second cars arent slow no. I didnt make any reference to ET's being slow or fast.

For instance, when I get my 400 together Im looking at arround 500-510 horse. It will be a very mild 87 gas motor with 9.7:1 compression. You think that adding another 90 horse at that point will make it radical lol?

I dont think that a 600 horse small block or 500horse for that matter is mild. I don't think its crazy radical either. But it's pretty damn stout for a na smallblock. My reference to et's was a comparison to you saying 600 horse is mild, then a 10 sec car must be slow. Neither statement is correct, although it is just a matter of opinion. But you are trying to speak for everyone apparently when you say "FYI in the world of performance anything that is arround 1.2-1.5 hp per cube is considered MILD".

breeaad

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
The term mild can take on a lot of different definitions based on the intended use of the vehicle and what was done to get the power. If it is a driver then 500-600 HP small block is way beyond mild in my opinion. But for a track only car, it could be looked at differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor