Pinion Angle/Adjustable Upper Control Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
The importance of buying adjustable upper control arms is so that you can set the correct pinion angle right?

Is this because the rear yoke on the pinion needs to be parallel with the slip yoke connected to the transmission in order to prevent driveshaft vibrations?

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I am not sure of the best pinion angle...but I know from experience and my families racing knowledge that the yoke at the trans and the yoke at the rear Cannot be at the same level, there needs to be some angle to it.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
If the two yokes are not parallel to one another this will cause vibration. It has to do with the shaft accelerating and deccelerating several times a rotation. I'm just asking if having the correct pinion angle has to with this same theory.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Sorry, I misunderstood.

88olds421

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2009
Raleigh, NC
If I am correct adjusting the pinion angle from what it was stock on the car will change the instant center of the car during the launch. If you adjust to a couple of degrees negative pinion angle it will tend to plant the tires harder at launch than with no angle.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
i was told once that there is supposed to be 3 degreese difference between the pinion yoke and the driveshaft

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you read up on pinion angle settings experts have varying opinions on setting the angle so I would use that online info to help you set the angle you prefer.

88olds421

Apprentice
Oct 20, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have a set of Southside Machine lift bars and upper control arms on my cutlass. In following hte directions they called for a 3 to 5 degree negative pinion angle to best load the rear suspension before a launch and in this range there isn't so much angle between the driveshaft and pinion to eat up u joints.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
pinion angle on a street car is for vibration damping. on a race car it's set so that when the suspension is loaded and twists, the driveshaft is straight allowing for greater power transfer. g-body's have a 4link suspension which is very rigid. they require very little pinion angle.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The other thing is on an asphalt circle track car the ground clearance and the suspension travel are usually much less than on a street car so the pinion angle doesn't change as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor