MONTE CARLO Possible 350 swap

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
I am currently looking around for a small block 350 to switch out my current 305 with. My dad and I within the past 2 years put in a new carburetor, intake, headers and made the exhaust true dual instead of the factory Y pipe. How much of that would be compatible with a 350? It's also a T-top car and I have received mixed advice about needing to brace the frame underneath to prevent potential twisting/cracking of the T-tops because of the added power. Are there specific years I should look for?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
There are plenty of bolt on braces that can help stiffen up your chassis and plenty of threads here under "frame bracing".
As far as the exhaust it should carry over to the 350 without issues.
You didn't specify the kind of carb or size but both the intake and carb could work depending on the specs of your new 350 and what you currently have.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
With certain exceptions any '55 to current production SBC/Gen 1 265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 400 can about interchange most non displament spec parts. Depending on years like heads, you may require an intake with matching bolt pattern like with Vortec heads. Now the disclaimer is not all parts will interchange. The main thing is knowing what year you Monte is (guessing from seeing your mirrors it'll be an '85 or older) & if that is an original or period correct 305. Hate to say a full on yes it all will fit then find out the one engine had perimeter bolt pattern valve covers & the other uses center bolt covers for an example. Pay attention if the seller did make any changes cause of the interchanges between the years an older block could have newer heads ('72 block with '96 heads) which could prevent the use of the intake (again guessing it's an '85 you have.)

Now for making things stiffer, I'd suggest boxing the frame & use the GN/GNX rear seat braces. Even new body mounts can help.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
There are plenty of bolt on braces that can help stiffen up your chassis and plenty of threads here under "frame bracing".
As far as the exhaust it should carry over to the 350 without issues.
You didn't specify the kind of carb or size but both the intake and carb could work depending on the specs of your new 350 and what you currently have.
With certain exceptions any '55 to current production SBC/Gen 1 265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 400 can about interchange most non displament spec parts. Depending on years like heads, you may require an intake with matching bolt pattern like with Vortec heads. Now the disclaimer is not all parts will interchange. The main thing is knowing what year you Monte is (guessing from seeing your mirrors it'll be an '85 or older) & if that is an original or period correct 305. Hate to say a full on yes it all will fit then find out the one engine had perimeter bolt pattern valve covers & the other uses center bolt covers for an example. Pay attention if the seller did make any changes cause of the interchanges between the years an older block could have newer heads ('72 block with '96 heads) which could prevent the use of the intake (again guessing it's an '85 you have.)

Now for making things stiffer, I'd suggest boxing the frame & use the GN/GNX rear seat braces. Even new body mounts can help.
Thank you both for the info, was looking for receipts to be more specific about what I have for a carb. My car is an ‘88, mirrors are different because we found those doors in a warehouse and the non aero mirrors were already bolted in the different position. Here’s what’s on my engine now:

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I am currently looking around for a small block 350 to switch out my current 305 with. My dad and I within the past 2 years put in a new carburetor, intake, headers and made the exhaust true dual instead of the factory Y pipe. How much of that would be compatible with a 350? It's also a T-top car and I have received mixed advice about needing to brace the frame underneath to prevent potential twisting/cracking of the T-tops because of the added power. Are there specific years I should look for?
how much power you looking to make? as for blocks i'd look for 86 and beyond cuz one piece rear main seals however some may not have mech fuel pump cut outs in the castings. and yes the exhaust should bolt up to any other sbc.

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
how much power you looking to make? as for blocks i'd look for 86 and beyond cuz one piece rear main seals however some may not have mech fuel pump cut outs in the castings. and yes the exhaust should bolt up to any other sbc.
I’m not sure, something that refreshes the car but makes it still modest I guess? I’m not shooting for a specific amount just would be curious where I get after a rebuke.
I have a friend going to an auto tech school for college and he estimated after the current carb/intake/headers plus a cam and heads it could put out around 450. He found a mid 90’s 350 out of a truck as a potential candidate

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I’m not sure, something that refreshes the car but makes it still modest I guess? I’m not shooting for a specific amount just would be curious where I get after a rebuke.
I have a friend going to an auto tech school for college and he estimated after the current carb/intake/headers plus a cam and heads it could put out around 450. He found a mid 90’s 350 out of a truck as a potential candidate
yeah if you're goin 450hp look into stiffening up the body and doing something about the rear end. look into 28 spline axels for the 7.5" get opinions on that. i seen a s10 do that and pull front off the ground. that 350 block should be good and may have roller cam provisions, if goin mech fuel pump hole may be cast over theres ways around that research and ask ?s if so. GL

jwood1213

Apprentice
Apr 14, 2020
MA
yeah if you're goin 450hp look into stiffening up the body and doing something about the rear end. look into 28 spline axels for the 7.5" get opinions on that. i seen a s10 do that and pull front off the ground. that 350 block should be good and may have roller cam provisions, if goin mech fuel pump hole may be cast over theres ways around that research and ask ?s if so. GL
450 isn’t the goal but I assume that’d be the max. I have a 200r4 so I’m not sure if that would need to be addressed too. I’ll look into the 7.5”, I’ve also heard a lot of good things about the ford 9” out of a crown vic

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor