PSA- DON'T Buy This Ebay Gas Tank Front Strap Bolt/Nut Kit

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ok, you could buy it, but you'll be returning it and causing all sorts of delays if you need to get your gas tank installed with new nuts/bolts. He's got black oxide nuts and GM bolt set claiming to fit your G-body front gas tank straps for $35.

Some people don't care at all about the stuff they put on their cars as long as it fits and works. Fine. But if "correctness" (or as close to it as possible) is a concern for you and you want to use GM parts for your project, this seller isn't helping you. Plus, you'll pay more for the seller's parts than you would REAL GM parts. But, that's a choice you must decide for yourself.

Seller's got the sizes of bolts as M10 x 1.5 x 45 mm. Well.....this is where the ad's untrue. The bolts he's trying to peddle are M8 size bolts. WILL NOT WORK. Seller is offering GM p/n 11515759 instead of what I think was meant to be the correct GM p/n 11515769.

And...the nuts are listed as M10 x 1.25. Ok, I'm not a genius, but 1.5 don't fit 1.25 threads very well. Something is going to bind up. But, yeah, you should have good clearance using that M8 bolt the seller included. :) Again, I think (I hope) it was a typo. Of course, if that got screwed up, the nuts included could very well be M8 and fit, but they're smaller than the M10 that's called for.

I don't know what the seller is thinking, but he/she's full of shi-ite. Claims the nuts are black oxide. Claims they're GM parts. I'm not buying it. 22531616 is the part number listed, which is correct, but what you get is THIS from GM (actually comes in a baggie of 5):

1699698639154.png

As you can see, it is not black oxide. Now, here's the "different" version the seller is trying to pass off. Will these nuts work? Of course! If they're M10 x 1.5. But not with that supplied M8 bolt. Seller specificially states for the nuts that the GM package is not included NOR supplied. Well...I can agree there, since they LIKELY didn't come out of a GM baggie. I highly suspect the nuts are not, nor ever have been, genuine GM parts. Doesn't make them bad, but the seller wants you to believe you're getting loose GM parts.

1699698393354.png

My issue is not about his asking price nor the fact that the bolts and nuts are sold together. I don't care about that. I DO care about advertising them to fit a G-body application that ISN'T TRUE in an attempt to tie up your money, because whoever buys these will be sorely disappointed when they don't fit correctly. But, as far as asking prices go, I CAN tell you that both the bolt (11515769) and nuts are still sold by your GM dealer and if you could buy them per each, the whole set for your front gas tank straps would cost you $20 RETAIL! If you can get a discount, all the better. $4.39 retail for the nut each, and $6.09 retail each for the bolt. Total- $20.96 retail. Just sayin.

Here's the link below, make your own determination. Know your stuff and what you need, and the seller can't f**k you over with parts that DON'T fit your application. This is why you can TRUST but verify. People make mistakes, but I think this is more of a sloppy ad campaign for a money grab at best, and not verifying the part numbers. To me, that's not HELPING people find the right stuff for their cars. Some people don't know what they need, and sellers like this aren't helping.

As an addendum to this post, since we're here, I'll cover the REAR bolts and strap numbers, too. Sorry wagon lovers, I haven't researched anything on those, so I am not sure of the fasteners you would need for your fuel tanks.

Straps: GM p/n 557935, need 2. Galvanized steel straps. Nothing spectacular. However, NOS is PRICEY AF!!! That is if you can find them. Spectra Premium has aftermarket ones with p/n ST06, in case you want to go that route.

For instance:

Rear bolts act like the hinge for the strap. GM bolt 11508301. You can find equivalent size of M8 X 1.25 X 75. You can still get them from GM, but they're pricey AF for some reason ($42.77 each list price). Actually no reason, really.

1699700268601.png

Aftermarket shows one offering I'm aware of. I didn't dig that much, but, well, I'm lazy.

It is a different finish/color from the GM bolt, but strong enough for sure at 10.9. And only 10 bucks for 2.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N0323OA/?tag=gbody-20

To fit that rear bolt you'll need the corresponding M8 x 1.25 nut. The GM ones (11516071) are prevailing torque type (crimped) so they'll stay on wherever you put them on the threads. Cheap enough to get from the dealer for a $1.89 each. Unfortunately, if you order them from GM, they come in a 10 pack bag. So that's 19 bucks for a bag of 10. Neat thing is they also shown in the parts book to fit tail pipe hanger screws on the VIN 9 Olds as well, but I'm not sure about that 100%.

1699702418220.png

For those with an 81-88 Cutlass A/G47, the tank p/n is 22510103. Tank cap - 22525300 (discontinued now and pricey AF). Sender (comes as a "kit" from GM with o-ring, cam, and sock- fully assembled) - 25001612 (2-line) (Spectra p/n FG08B), and 25001613 (3-line)(Spectra p/n FG08A).

As always, buyer beware. Do your homework. Don't put 100% trust in anything until you're satisfied you've done your due diligence. I'd never intentionally steer anyone wrong, although I have made mistakes. I can't say for sure the seller in the ebay ad is intentionally steering anyone wrong either, but it will not help your gas tank install if you buy that "kit", that I can tell you.

Reactions: 6 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One plus is Ebay has that guarantee that all parts fit promise cause they have too much faith in the sellers being correct on applications. But the hassle of going through the process might keep some at bay. This is like a lot of things on Ebay, says fits this car but oddly fits a brand that not related like a while back I saw Toyota packaged parts listed for '81-'88 Monte Carlo. Even the search shows the wrong parts like my Vette power mirror searches gets trim for both inside 7 outside of random '50's car. No mirror, no Vette, not even chrome, just random parts.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I'll take a review from you over any ebay claims.

Isn't there some kind of spacer on the front bolts too?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'll take a review from you over any ebay claims.

Isn't there some kind of spacer on the front bolts too?
Thanks for that. But always verify for yourself so you're comfortable with whatever you decide to do. Lord knows I've made mistakes. Expensive ones, too.

As far as the spacer, AFAIK, no G-body used any spacers on the front bolts. There may be on some applications, but I'm not aware of any. Typically, on the front, you have tabs with holes that accept the push on U-nut and simply zip the bolt up through the nut until it bottoms against the nut, which makes the straps max tight on the tank.

Rear mounting points (original Monte SS)-
Monte ss underside 17.jpg

A bit more of a close look at the rear (84 H/O)-
84 HO Low Mile Undercar Rear Gas Tank Strap Mounting.jpg

Front mounting points look like (86 Cutlass):
1699893628991.png

Reactions: 4 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
84-87 turbo Regals had spacers, due to rubber insulator strips wrapped around between the tank and straps, due to the in-tank fuel pump. The spacers seemed a bit longer than necessary just for the rubber strips, though.

I used spacers because I could never get the straps bolted up otherwise. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
84-87 turbo Regals had spacers, due to rubber insulator strips wrapped around between the tank and straps, due to the in-tank fuel pump. The spacers seemed a bit longer than necessary just for the rubber strips, though.

I used spacers because I could never get the straps bolted up otherwise. :ROFLMAO:
Ah, good point. For some reason I NEVER think about the hair-dryer cars' fuel systems as I have no real reason to, but you are right, they did use spacers in the front with a corresponding longer HWW bolt, obviously. Derp.

For the Turbo Regal cars with tank/strap insulators, use front bolts M10x1.5x85mm, GM p/n 14085302, which also doubles as #2, 4, 6, 7 body/frame bushing bolt for 84-88. Spacer is GM p/n 25518761. 10.2mm ID spacer, about 30mm long. The straps, U-Nuts and rear bolts/nuts are still the same as the above part numbers previously mentioned.

#10, 11, and 12 in the pic below.

1699961875881.png

I'm getting too old for this sh*t.

Reactions: 3 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
One plus is Ebay has that guarantee that all parts fit promise cause they have too much faith in the sellers being correct on applications. But the hassle of going through the process might keep some at bay. This is like a lot of things on Ebay, says fits this car but oddly fits a brand that not related like a while back I saw Toyota packaged parts listed for '81-'88 Monte Carlo. Even the search shows the wrong parts like my Vette power mirror searches gets trim for both inside 7 outside of random '50's car. No mirror, no Vette, not even chrome, just random parts.
Have had the say problems with them as well.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I’m fortunate to have a hardware store that sells a lot of the clip nuts and bolts that match up with factory parts. As long as I use my tap and die set for size if the item can’t brought with me.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor