Purchased an LS1 & have a few questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMrChevy

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2011
Lima, Ohio
I think for the money, to pay someone to convert your speedo to VVS it would be cheaper to modify the tail shaft. I know of a speedo shop in CA.
Contact http://www.speedometerplus.com/ They do alot of mechanical speedo, maybe they could make a VVS speedo like factory.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
When I did my 99ls1/t56 swap over 10 years ago, I just went with all auto meter gauges. Electric speedo can be programmed by resetting at a 2 mile long marker. Tach for ls1 needs to be set at 4 cylinder. Didn't want to risk inaccurate gauges on an expensive engine.Local auto parts stores had adapters for gauges to ls1 head.

ATLMonte88

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2012
ATL, Georgia
Thanks agian to all of yall helping me out. Im happy to say that I am picking up the ls1 tonight and the process will begin. as far as the speedo goes, i belive im going to purcase the abbot cable-x. found one on ebay with warranty for 295. fingers crossed!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
good luck!! Post a build thread!! :mrgreen: make sure you get your stock speedo recalibrated :wink: I still need to get it done :wink: . :lol:

ATLMonte88

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2012
ATL, Georgia
85gp- i will deff get somewhat of a build log going in the near future. problem is i am teaming up with my mechanic and he will be doing a lot of the work at times that i am not around. hope to see this all done by my bday in late september... oh and to update yall on my gauge issue, decided to go with the pricy but sexy option from dekota digital. they came out with the vss driven analog style gauges.my pockets are taking a hit but i think it will be worth it! link below for the product

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd788.htm

dixon_ronald

Apprentice
Jan 1, 2011
Houston, Texas
ATLMonte88! Any updates on your Monte LS1 project? The Forum and people like myself want to hear some news :lol: ..!

JPsMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Michigan
You guys are all a great help. I bought an 88 ss a couple months ago and trying to decide which route to take. Ls seems like the way to go. Im just not sure what Im getting myself into.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
ATLMonte88 said:
Thanks agian to all of yall helping me out. Im happy to say that I am picking up the ls1 tonight and the process will begin. as far as the speedo goes, i belive im going to purcase the abbot cable-x. found one on ebay with warranty for 295. fingers crossed!

ATLMonte88 I have done the LS1/4L60E Swap in my 1979 Monte Carlo and I bought the abbot cable-x and for some reason I cannot figure out the right settings to get the speedometer to read the correct speed. If you or anyone else knows the correct settings for the tabs inside of the device could you send a pic so I can get it corrected... For now I just run a bullydog digital gauge device off of my obdII port to show me my speed but all of my gauges are still factory and they work except for my speedometer!

AndrewMrChevy

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2011
Lima, Ohio
Brother check out my other post. this is correct fix and you can run your factory speedometer. I have installed the 4L60E and I am using the factory speedometer and still use the correct VSS for my transmission. You just need to modify your transmission as I have posted here several times. Check it out some of my postings.

Vortec 5.7 + 4L60E Swap

ATLMonte88

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2012
ATL, Georgia
apparently the site hates me today and is giving me issues, so short and sweet here since i've typed up an update like 5 times and it deleted after submitting.. project was on hold for many reasons.. old stuff is now out, engine bay is clean and parts were painted. fbody oil pan fits too tight and I refuse to cut into my frame, new oil pan is in the works. ps pump and alt fit like a glove. ac will be changed up and relocated. i'll be keeping this stock for now, wanted headers but keep reading how much of a pain they are to fit and hell if i'll spend $600+ just to bang and dent them until they fit! will be running stock manifolds to an x pipe, no cats, hooker mufflers? cam and heads will come next year, a 75-100 shot of nitrous will be put in sooner than later... the car will be mostly for shows but you better bet i'll put the pedal to the floor if a mustang or import tries me. intake will be painted silver and i plan to order paint matched fuel rail covers from afterthoughts auto.. i'm buying items to lower it this week, 2" all around. spinels up front and springs in the rear. just put up a post asking for shock advise today if yall have any! Thanks for following and i'll keep things updated as I get this done. shooting for early april as a completion date on the swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor