Quadrajet help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I've got a couple of problems with my 86 442:
1. If I let the car sit for more than 4 hours, I need to pump the throttle a couple of times for it to start. Not a big deal but would like to understand what is going on.
2. After a cold start, the idle begins at around 1300 rpm, then within seconds, increases to over 2000 rpm. Drops down to 800 rpm if I stab the throttle.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Sounds like your plugs in the bowls are leaking down. There is a screw facing the firewall on the pass side on the carb base plate that adjusts fast idle. Turn it counter clockwise to lower your fast idle.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Some needle valve seat designs allow gas to empty out of the carb back down the fuel line.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
The second issue might be caused by an excess of fuel in the intake that leaked in there ( a result of your first issue ). The car starts up and idle is high ( which it's supposed to be ) but since it's way over rich the engine doesn't run as good until the excess of fuel in the intake clears out. Once the excess fuel clears, the idle gets stronger and goes up to where it should be. This is just a theory I pulled out of my *ss.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here's my edumacted guesses. You're in SD, so it's usually chilly weather and even 4 hours cools down the engine so it's a cold start most times. 1- accelerator pump is worn, so not much of a pump shot. With engine off, remove air cleaner, choke open, look down throat while pumping throttle by hand. You should see a good strong pump shot from 2 places just under the choke flap. A weak dribbly flow means the pump diaphragm is leaking. My question is- does it also need lots of pumping when totally cold, or just after running/shut down/4 hours? 2- choke fast idle is set at 2000 rpm, but choke flap is slow to open (choke pull-off is weak/slow/sticky) so it is initially too rich and all it will allow is 1300 rpm. When it finally opens fully, the engine assumes the 2000 rpm setting. 1500-2000 is a good fast idle range by the way. As the engine warms up and choke relaxes, hitting the gas pedal drops the rpm down to the 800 rpm curb idle, which is normal. Here is the operation.
Fast_idle_zpsffd90c07.gif

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I adjusted the fast idle. At start it idles at 1100rpm and creeps up to around 1400 rpm.......but much better than idling at 2000+ rpm.

Are leaky plugs something that can be repaired with the carb in place?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, the plugs are located on the underside of the carb. Leaky plugs were a 60's thing with many over-the-counter fixes available. You won't find them for sale anymore because the Rochester plant corrected the problem around 1970 or so. Nowadays the problem is the 10% alcohol in gas which causes it too evaporate so fast you think it must be a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor