Quadrajet or Aftermarket?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have the old TES headers on my SBC. Only issues I had is to run spark plug heat sleeves and tight sparkplug access on some cylinders. They used to sell special telescoping sparkplug sockets for headers, which I have one of.
My original set of Accel 8.8 wires had large boots on them and were slightly thicker wires. a few of them became casualties of the headers. I changed over to Taylor 8mm wires and they seem to clear the headers without any issues. Well, the wire looms help significantly as well..

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In some cases you need a few different types of sockets. The spark plug socket with the hex is useful and a 5/8" combination wrench helps as well. I also use a swivel socket if need be.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I also use a swivel socket if need be.
Jack, since you had VW beetles, you know that the ONLY way you are getting the spark plugs out is with a flex-head ratchet. I think it was invented just to service Bugs!!!
s-l300.webp

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, since you had VW beetles, you know that the ONLY way you are getting the spark plugs out is with a flex-head ratchet. I think it was invented just to service Bugs!!!
s-l300.webp
Mark,
I've never used a flex head ratchet for that purpose.
I'm quite familiar with air cooled VW and 4-cyl. Porsche engines. What I generally use on the Porsche engine is a magnetic 13/16" socket with a basic 3/8's drive ratchet and extension. The Porsche engine has a deeper reach to access the plugs and therefore it's easy to lose a plug inside the shrouding. Ask me how I know. The magnetic socket is a godsend. It's a German Hazet brand. Worth every penny .
Before using the magnetic socket, I used a regular spark plug socket to loosen up the plug and then use a length of fuel hose to fit over the plug's porcelain . It works almost as well as the magnetic socket. We all have our various methods.
It does take a little care to not cross thread the SP threads, and recommend using the finger tight method before tightening down the plug.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
My original set of Accel 8.8 wires had large boots on them and were slightly thicker wires. a few of them became casualties of the headers. I changed over to Taylor 8mm wires and they seem to clear the headers without any issues. Well, the wire looms help significantly as well..

I use stock AC Delco wires with Ebay fiberglass boots, one of the few times I use cheap Ebay stuff.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I use stock AC Delco wires with Ebay fiberglass boots, one of the few times I use cheap Ebay stuff.
Are they a silicone jacketed wire? Also what type of core wire does it use? I like to use a silicone wire with a spiral wound core. which is why I like the Taylor wires. Even brands like Moroso, Accel, MSD, etc. are made in that fashion.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Are they a silicone jacketed wire? Also what type of core wire does it use? I like to use a silicone wire with a spiral wound core. which is why I like the Taylor wires. Even brands like Moroso, Accel, MSD, etc. are made in that fashion.

I just use stock carbon core wires. Many of the spiral core wires have poor suppression.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've never used a flex head ratchet for that purpose.
Jack I had a cheap-azz guy at work with a VW Bug. He wanted to do the spark plugs but could not get near them with the tools he had. I suggested a flex head ratchet and he just poo-pooed me as being a stupid know-it-all. So I did NOT offer my tool for him to use. This went on for couple of weeks with no success. Finally he admitted that he had used a flex head ratchet to get the plugs done. It cost him a lot because he could only find one for top dollar at an expensive hardware store. Oh... well............. :mrgreen:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack I had a cheap-azz guy at work with a VW Bug. He wanted to do the spark plugs but could not get near them with the tools he had. I suggested a flex head ratchet and he just poo-pooed me as being a stupid know-it-all. So I did NOT offer my tool for him to use. This went on for couple of weeks with no success. Finally he admitted that he had used a flex head ratchet to get the plugs done. It cost him a lot because he could only find one for top dollar at an expensive hardware store. Oh... well............. :mrgreen:
I guess this schmoo learned a lesson. Like the old adage goes, you can lead a horse to water.

• Haha
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You chebby guys are funny with your burnt spark plug wires. The only time I had issues was my hot running 403 with MSD Superconductor wires, heat actually cracked the wire twice, no actual touching on Olds V8's. Once I put on Accel 25 ohm race wires and years later the GN rad surround on my G body, problem solved.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor