Question for UMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I currently have the UMI rear uppers with the Roto Joint. The A body rear does not line up properly with the stock lowers which puts stress on them so I'll be getting some lowers with one Roto Joint. I'm thinking I might need a panhard bar to prevent lateral movement of the rear with having 4 Roto Joints. With the 4 Roto Joints the upper at the ears on the rear end and the frame location of the lowers are preventing the lateral movement of the rear end. I appreciate that the Roto Joints do not share the same axis so that would also prevent lateral movement but I don't have a program to test this theory as I don't know how much, if any, the control arms flex. I could test the rear end with the components installed but I was hoping this issue has been looked at by UMI...

Thanks

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Hey Steve,

On the A-body rear end you are correct, the factory lowers will work but do not line up perfect and can cause a little binding. A set of lower control arms with one end being a Roto-Joint will cure this issue.

Since the upper control arms are triangulated there would be no need for a panhard bar. If the upper control arms were straight like the older Impalas then you would need one.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That does help. I was thinking that with the position of the uppers would hold the rear in place and you confirmed that so thanks. Plus the UMI uppers are substantially stronger than the stock uppers and they would not flex like the stock uppers do nor do they need to with the Roto Joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor