Rack and pinion vs manual gear box, spill pan vs engine diaper

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I’ve decided to go with a manual steering box - a new S10 box and pitman arm seems to be ‘normal’ GBody upgrade. It should be quite a weight savings, but I’m hoping the increased ratio isn’t going to make it drive awfully. It looks to be close to a 40lb weight savings. And considering that it’s in front of the front tires I’m hoping it changes my front to rear weight bias by my rental 1-2%. I’ll post up some pics when I get it fully installed.

And of course update with a drivability change.
Pump and lines weigh that much with the bracket?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I’ve decided to go with a manual steering box - a new S10 box and pitman arm seems to be ‘normal’ GBody upgrade. It should be quite a weight savings, but I’m hoping the increased ratio isn’t going to make it drive awfully. It looks to be close to a 40lb weight savings. And considering that it’s in front of the front tires I’m hoping it changes my front to rear weight bias by my rental 1-2%. I’ll post up some pics when I get it fully installed.

It'll be fine (y)

Reactions: 1 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011

Changing to a fron sidet steering box may lead to issues with header/exhaust fit interference. Also, bump steer may be affected. This can be an accident causer if driven on the street at even moderate speed.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When I first put a Pontiac 350 into my 1981 Malibu wagon, the crappy power steering was leaking. It was that cheapola snap ring cover job [605?]. All I had was Firebird power boxes that I could use [800?]. But the hose fittings were totally different. In a pinch I used a manual box that I had. The Pitman arm on a manual box is the same fit as the 605 box, so it was an easy swap. What a mistake. At speed, there was not much difference. But parking and any slow speed maneuvering was a chore. The wheels must be turning to take the strain off. Many moons go when I drove VW bugs, it was normal to have to gorilla the steering. But a G-body with a big V-8? Yikes! That got old real fast. I eventually got the proper pump and hoses to use the Firebird box and I found the right Pitman arm at a Junkyard.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Bonnewagon i have some concern about that. The spool already makes tight turning and backing up the trailer somewhat of a chore. I’m hoping for the best in that regard haha

• Optimistic

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Nailhead, I hate to say this, but trailering was the worst part. It was only an 18 ft aluminum boat, but what a nightmare at the ramp. In fact the awful trailering was the biggest reason I converted back to power steering. Even small adjustments while trying to back up were a huge problem. The manual transmission made it even more complicated.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor