Rag Joint Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

83ho87gn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2013
Hello everyone I have a problem, Rebuild all my supension goodies still had sloppy steering, took it to my mechanic he showed me the ragjoint was wore out. Didnt even think of that. I cant seem to find one, I found the Help section 31002 will that work, I also saw gbodyparts.com sell a rebuilt shaft for like 150. Is that the better way to go. Just trying to figure out what I need to do. Car is an 83 ho, all stock. Thank in advance

1SlowBu

Greasemonkey
Jun 17, 2011
I used a 93 jeep cherokee steering shaft. It has u-joints instead of a ragjoint. It gives a much firmer feel.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm not going to try to advocate the use of the Jeep Cherokee steering shaft, even though that's what I would ultimately recommend and I'm currently using.
But if you're intent on keeping it all original, then the HELP part #31002 would be the right rag joint to use.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I'm gonna have to agree with the Jeep shaft. Better design and no slop. Looks cleaner too.

Hutch

83ho87gn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2013
Ok cool, I dont really have a problem with the jeep shaft, all I need to get is a jeep shaft and it goes in or is there anything else thats needs to be changed?? Thanks again

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
83ho87gn said:
Ok cool, I dont really have a problem with the jeep shaft, all I need to get is a jeep shaft and it goes in or is there anything else thats needs to be changed?? Thanks again
All you need to do is notch the shaft coming out of your steering column for the bolt on the upper part of the Jeep shaft. Don't feel bad about doing it because the notch won't cause problems if you ever have to put a rag joint back on and it gets covered up anyway. I know this because I had to put my original unit back on. The Jeep shaft I received is tight where it was designed to be, but when compressed to the length of a G-Body rag joint it does have a little slop. If you get a Jeep shaft, make sure it's tight where you need it to be and not just at stock length for the Jeep it came out of.

83ho87gn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2013
307 Regal said:
83ho87gn said:
All you need to do is notch the shaft coming out of your steering column for the bolt on the upper part of the Jeep shaft. Don't feel bad about doing it because the notch won't cause problems if you ever have to put a rag joint back on and it gets covered up anyway. I know this because I had to put my original unit back on. The Jeep shaft I received is tight where it was designed to be, but when compressed to the length of a G-Body rag joint it does have a little slop. If you get a Jeep shaft, make sure it's tight where you need it to be and not just at stock length for the Jeep it came out of.[/quo

Sounds good, thank you for the response, let me get to work now. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor