Rallye Pac instrument cluster with diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
A friend of mine found this on the interwebs - a diesel 1980 Cutlass with a rallye pac gauge option.

Not only is this car in an immaculate state, but it shows something I find very funny - what the engineers at GM did for the RPM gauge... since there's no ignition on a diesel engine. Just, wow. They removed the gauge completely. Period. Not even a lousy clock, nothing. Just a BIG Oldsmobile sign.

Original link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrys ... otostream/

Attachments

• diesel_cutlass.jpg
    diesel_cutlass.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 810

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Interesting...I came across a Cutlass diesel wagon a little while ago and it had a tach? Maybe something different for Canada?

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
O. D. Showtime said:
Interesting...I came across a Cutlass diesel wagon a little while ago and it had a tach? Maybe something different for Canada?

This looks like an american car. Maybe the car you saw was newer, and in 1980 they were not ready to use the tach without a distributor ?

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
I've seen that before..., a guy that works at my local autozone has one in his but his is for gasoline but still no tach with his rallye cluster.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2013
littlerascle59 said:
I've seen that before..., a guy that works at my local autozone has one in his but his is for gasoline but still no tach with his rallye cluster.

very interesting. maybe his car has been "converted" to the dark side of gasoline...?

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
gdouaire said:
littlerascle59 said:

very interesting. maybe his car has been "converted" to the dark side of gasoline...?
No..., his is a factory gasoline car, had the same rallye cluster and all but I'm sure it might've said 'gasoline or unleaded only' instead of 'diesel only', next time I'm near it I'll look to make certain. I do know for certain that his rallye cluster has blank tach too tho.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I have a Diesel Rally cluster WITH a tach, the redline indicator starts much lower at 4500rpm I believe but the cluster is from a later model Cutlass, probably '82 or '83.
They must not have had the wiring designed yet to allow for a tach in a distributor less car in '80...

I have a used delete plate and also have an NOS one but I do not know if they only came from diesel cars that required oil/temp gauges since I didn't get them out of clusters.

Nov 17, 2013
We parted a 1980 diesel cutlass wagon some years ago with the gauge package w/tach. If memory serves the tach was driven by a connection to the alternator. I still have the cluster and I believe the alternator hiding somewhere.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I have seen gas cars with the tach delete. In fact my first car was an 81 Cutlass with a ralley cluster without the tach , it was just a weird car all around. Ralley cluster with tach delete, 3.8 V6, F41 suspension, no A/C, clear non factory tint glass (not even the blue shading at the top of the windshield) and bucket seats with column shift and no console are most of the oddball stuff I remember about the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor