Rear bumper opinions, everyone come on in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Some of yous guys may be following my wagon build thread, I have changed my mind on a few things many times, bumpers being one of them. I had originally thought about using a rear roll pan, but it make the *ss of the car look huge IMO, especially after seeing one on a Malibu wagon in person. Then I saw Jacks (longroof79) rear bumper, and he made it look great.

Then I had though about smoothing the gate (I have one smoothed), and putting the plate in the bumper. Then using the fold down bracket to access a class III hitch that is doubling as a rear frame brace.

In any case, I found this 2 door olds cutlass wagon custom, which has a custom bumper.

https://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1981_oldsmobile_cutlass+cruiser_183521126_1

Opinions??

Attachments

• 9F55CD0E-0540-49AC-99C5-716D30F9E159_5.jpg
    9F55CD0E-0540-49AC-99C5-716D30F9E159_5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 748

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
ANYTHING is better than a roll pan!! :lol:

I think your idea of tucking the bumper and hiding your receiver behind the plate is a good one.
I can tell you first hand that the class 3 hitch on my wagon makes a world of difference.

Have you explored any options for some different taillites?
I'm not sure if he posted any pictures, but Lindsay put Caddy lites in the bumper of the SafariWagon and it looks killer.

What have you decided to do with the front bumper?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Blake, I have looked (not super hard) for different tailgate and taillight options. You have any links? If I were to do similar to above, the plate pocket wouldn't be so "square" It would have soft corners to mimic the bumper curves, and the top tilted in like factory.

As far as the front bumper, I am going to take the one I got from you, the stock Century bumper, and mash the two together, like Ben (SRD Art) did. I had that plan originally, don't want to seem like I am steeling everyone's ideas, :D . but then saw the glass ones, and they just don't sit 100% with me.

Kevin (O.D. Showtime), located some fender and bumper fillers (the side ones), uncracked headlight bezels to paint, and some grills. So I am pretty much vested into nipping and tucking the bumper with all the stuff I have bought already. I am going to run a spoiler/air dam of some sort to get air to the intercooler.

Lauren Engineering makes one, but I can't get a good look at it. I may just fab something.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I was going to go that route with mine like the red Olds wagon and shave the tailgate license plate pocket. I thought of using an S10 rear license plate pocket/ bracket that I had, but didn't quite like the way it sticks down much like that red wagon.
Another thought was using a flip down tag holder like the street rod guys use.
The rear bumper is pretty narrow, so making it look right is a challenge.

Blake I never saw a pic of the rear of Lindsay's wagon. I did recall him considering the Caddy taillights. I'd love to see how that looks.
I always wondered what options there were for taillights that could be frenched or grafted into the bumper. I know LED strips would look cool.

I'm still in a bit of a quandary about shortening my tailgate cables...well finding the proper swage eyes anyway.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7872&start=120

Found dirtywhiteboy's thread. looks like he did it too. I want to do it so the box isn't so much a BOX. I just never really liked the plastic plate pocket in the Wagons or El caminos, and I have owned a few of both.

CIMG0267.jpg

I am beginning to like that also. I can't find Linsays car with the Caddy lights either.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I did like the way Brian's (Dirtywhiteboy) rear tag pocket came out. It does look good with the shaved tailgate. I still have a spare tailgate that I thought of filling in the pocket. In fact, I had already cut out a piece of 20 ga. sheetmetal to fit the opening.
I may still do it...but not sure where I want to tuck my plate into.

His bumper came out good, only that it needed to come up some. In either case, the reinforcement bar has to be shortened at each end.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have a gate that I filled the plate hole up. But it got all jacked up sitting around, so I needs to be redone. an leaning more toward this. I also have the spoiler/air deflector thing. (I need screw caps)

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'll look thru my junk to see if I have any spare screw covers. They do get beat up. A while back I sold a member a rear deflector with hinges..and I included the screw covers.Those were probably the best ones I had.
They may not be too difficult to make. Maybe using a piece of aluminum formed into the same shape. The only problem I can see would be holding them on...velcro maybe? The plastic pieces had a sort of anchor built in. They always seem to break off.

Ed (87GN) used a metal street rod pocket for his tailgate. It's smaller than the plastic crap and doesn't look that bad.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Lindsay might not have posted any pictures of the rear... but I've seen it in person and they're sharp.
I guess the sky's the limit as to what you can graft in there as far as lites go. AS LONG AS IT'S NOT CORVETTE LITES!! :puke: :lol:

Personally I like the stock look... but the Euro-lenses like Jack has look pretty cool. So are the '78 Pontiac-only wagon lenses...
Unfortunately both are made of unobtainium... :lol:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Longroof79 said:
I'll look thru my junk to see if I have any spare screw covers. They do get beat up. A while back I sold a member a rear deflector with hinges..and I included the screw covers.Those were probably the best ones I had.
They may not be too difficult to make. Maybe using a piece of aluminum formed into the same shape. The only problem I can see would be holding them on...velcro maybe? The plastic pieces had a sort of anchor built in. They always seem to break off.

Ed (87GN) used a metal street rod pocket for his tailgate. It's smaller than the plastic crap and doesn't look that bad.

Jack, I think I will have to fabricate something. Like you said, it should be too difficult. I did see Eds plate pocket also. It looks good, I would make a metal pocket, but the stock style and shape.

Blake442 said:
Lindsay might not have posted any pictures of the rear... but I've seen it in person and they're sharp.
I guess the sky's the limit as to what you can graft in there as far as lites go. AS LONG AS IT'S NOT CORVETTE LITES!! :puke: :lol:

Personally I like the stock look... but the Euro-lenses like Jack has look pretty cool. So are the '78 Pontiac-only wagon lenses...
Unfortunately both are made of unobtainium... :lol:

Definitely no corvette lights. I will have a hitch behind the bumper, similar to Ben's. With color I am painting it, I just don't know about the removable plug. I guess I can make the gap really small and it won't be that bad.

Looking at a few few stock gate tucked rear bumper wagon, that still looks good, just unsure of the direction I am going (sound like my wife :rofl: ). I have a few months to decided as i get the main work done I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor