Rear Suspension Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubio9800

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2020
California
i appreciate sharing the experiences here, very helpful for when i get around to doing my set up.

Now to wait on parts..

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For the rear brace on my Monte I welded a piece of 1-3/4" roll bar tubing to the frame rails, for my Regal I also used the same tubing but welded 1/4" steel plate to it so it could be bolted on to the rear frame rails.
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_20200809_202227179 (1).jpg

Reactions: 6 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
For the rear brace on my Monte I welded a piece of 1-3/4" roll bar tubing to the frame rails, for my Regal I also used the same tubing but welded 1/4" steel plate to it so it could be bolted on to the rear frame rails.
Any reason I can't put a pair of 3/8 or 10mm holes in the bottom of the frame rails (see pic) and bolt a 3x1 box beam across, right behind the gas tank (spacers to keep from crushing it)? Could probably fish the bolts in with a wire and not remove the bumper or tap the holes if use a fine thread pitch.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    538.5 KB · Views: 111

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Any reason I can't put a pair of 3/8 or 10mm holes in the bottom of the frame rails (see pic) and bolt a 3x1 box beam across, right behind the gas tank (spacers to keep from crushing it)? Could probably fish the bolts in with a wire and not remove the bumper or tap the holes if use a fine thread pitch.
No access to a welder? I suppose you could do it the way you are suggesting but IMO I would just use the existing mounting points for the bumper shocks and use a bolt and nut instead of tapping into the frame.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If you go the existing bolts route, you may find that you will need to score some longer bolts to get it all to come together. The other point is that adding the flat plate will push the bumper out farther so if you have shims between the shock and the bumper you may have to remove one layer to bring it all back in line again.

Nick

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you go the existing bolts route, you may find that you will need to score some longer bolts to get it all to come together. The other point is that adding the flat plate will push the bumper out farther so if you have shims between the shock and the bumper you may have to remove one layer to bring it all back in line again.

Nick
Mine is mounted on the backside with longer bolts so it does not change the bumper location.

• Agree

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
No access to a welder? I suppose you could do it the way you are suggesting but IMO I would just use the existing mounting points for the bumper shocks and use a bolt and nut instead of tapping into the frame.
Just thinking... I've added about half the braces mentioned here on the other thread, and I like what it does for the car. I like the brackets from GNS Performance mentioned above, but I wonder if pushing the bumper out by the thickness of the bracket (possibly 3/16) will gap the bumper filler... I don't know how to weld; I plan to experiment with flux core wire welding this summer - maybe, after I make a ton of bad welds on some scrap I'll try to make this brace.... Man, welding seems like a glass celling to me....

Edit: I see you mounted your own behind the bumper shock absorber.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I just cut a piece of hollow square stock at an angle on both sides. Then drilled 3 bolt holes, one on one side, two on the other and then bolted it to the backside of the bumper shock frame pads similar to what Jeff did.

My CVPI has a factory frame brace bolted to its bumper mounts that is similar to the GNS setup. I noticed many other body on frame cars use similar rear frame bracing bolted to the bumper mounts.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I just cut a piece of hollow square stock at an angle on both sides. Then drilled 3 bolt holes, one on one side, two on the other and then bolted it to the backside of the bumper shock frame pads similar to what Jeff did.

My CVPI has a factory frame brace bolted to its bumper mounts that is similar to the GNS setup. I noticed many other body on frame cars use similar rear frame bracing bolted to the bumper mounts.
I do the same except I use a piece of round tubing. I put a 1/4”’slice it the tube and put over the bumper shock mounts and tack it in. The remivenit and weld it sold. About $30-40 worth of metal and 2-3 hours of my time.

Reactions: 1 user

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
My Caballero only has two braces on the whole truck and no bumpers. I have all the flex. Hopefully I’ll get time to work on it again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor