Rear window strut hookup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8_vega

n00b
Feb 27, 2009
I have an 83 Malibu wagon that I just got last week. The back window appears to have the heat strips for rear defrost although there is no switch for it. Also there is nowhere to hook the struts to hold the window up.

I am not so worried about rear defrost, but how the heck do you hook up the struts? Can someone post some pics or tell me where I can get the parts I need? I am sure they are some kind of glue on pieces.

Oh, one more question. Where can you get the bushings for the rear window hinge mounts? Mine are loose and squeaks and rattles alot.
Thanks for your help.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like the rear window had been replaced.

As for the strut mounts.
They are spot welded on the window frame. I had once had one loose mount welded to the frame, but it would have to come apart from the glass to do so.
You might have to order the side frame pieces with the mounts attached if you don't have the mount pieces. If they're still available from GM. I ordered one once, but it was 20+yrs ago.
Or find a complete back window with everything intact. That might be a more economical way to go.

For the back window hinge mounts. You can drive out the pins and try using pieces of outer insulation/ sheathing from telephone cable.
It does appear that there was a plastic bushing/ sleeve used there.

Good luck!

Jack

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 252

v8_vega

n00b
Feb 27, 2009
I haven't really had the time to look at it a whole lot yet. Hope to this weekend if the rain stops.
Want to make a trip to some salvage yards when I can to. I think it may just be easier to just buy one already complete. Does the wing just bolt in place of the hinges? I know on the vega they mounted seprately.
Oh well, at least I have made more progress so far then the last guy. Lots of small things to do. Already got all the dash lights and signal indicators working, completed the exhaust, tuned it up and just a bunch of small things.
Thanks for the reply.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Your best bet might be to find a complete rear hatch window. With the pieces in place for the struts.

As for the wing. It has 4-phillips head screws holding it down to the hinges. They're usually underneath the rectangular shaped caps that hide the screws.

There's two type hinges. The ones for the wing and the ones without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor