removing front swaybar

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
I'm currently building a '78 regal street car--400 sbc--turbo 350--342 posi. I'm looking to reduce weight as much as possible. I have fiberglass bumpers and am currently having a fiberglass hood built. Interior is gutted--no ac--no heat--no interior panels--no carpet--no headliner. A 20 year dragracing friend of mine suggested removing the front swaybar. Anyone see a reason to not remove this swaybar? My goal is less weight and straight line performance. Near future improvments include fiberglass front fenders--lightweight seats and swiss cheesing [hole sawing] and removing any un-nessasary metal. 8)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I would keep the front bar. A non F-41 will do. The extra few pounds are worth it here if it sees any street time at all.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if this will be a track only vehicle, strict straight line use, I would remove the bar... this will help soften up the front for better launching off the line, and you can shed a few pounds too.

if you plan regular street driving, I would keep the bar. Around turns, the car without the bar will be a handfull... and I would hate to run into any situations where quick maneuvering is required.

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
if your concerned about weight,look for a aluminum core support.they can be found on 78-80 regals,g.p.,and cutlasses.that is unless yours already has one.look for an "A" in a circle on the top of core support on the passenger side.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you are worried about weight and want to keep the sway bar why not get the hollow F bar..

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
if you are worried about weight and want to keep the sway bar why not get the hollow F bar..
Your referring to the F body sway bar right? I have a line on one pretty cheap is it really worth the change?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know the exact weight difference but the F body one is lighter....in racing everything counts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor