removing front swaybar

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrocket1967

Greasemonkey
Sep 19, 2010
Florida
My Monte has no sway bars, no power steering and my front passenger side suspension needs to be replaced. WHAT A HANDFUL driving it on the street and havin to shift all the time. Trust me when i say if your gona hit the street more than the strip leave it. Mine came right off the strip and what a difference between one that is normal and one that is setup to run straight down a track.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
pontiacgp said:
if you are worried about weight and want to keep the sway bar why not get the hollow F bar..

X2

I was just figuring you seem to want to shave every little bit you can, and the non f-41 would be a little bit thinner. But never mind that, the hollow one sounds like a better idea.

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
Things to search for; f body hollow swaybar
aluminum core support

Any other suggestions?

I am trying to shave every ounce of weight off. My goal is as light and safe as possible. This will be a street/strip car with minimum creature comforts. LESS IS MORE!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you relocated your battery to the trunk?..and what about getting some aluminium heads if you cast iron heads..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
how about the manual brake conversion, that booster weighs a few pounds..and removing the wiper motor and wipers which are easy enough to install if your hitting the streets

knowyourenemy66

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
Panama City, Florida
Keeping the wipers--still pondering the manual brakes--going with manual steering box--What f body cars can I get a hollow swaybar from? I need to know what vehicles I can search out in the local boneyards--Thanks!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
No sway bar up front at the track should be a given. You want weight transfer to the rear and as always less weight up front the better. I pulled my Hotchkis bar off (which is extremely heavy) and noticed a huge difference.

I've seen people driving with an Anti roll bar (which is different from a sway bar) in the rear for drag racing, and using it on the street with no front sway bar and they are saying it handles pretty nicely. I drove on the street for a couple weeks with no front sway bar and 90/10 shocks up front. As long as you don't need to make really quick turns you will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor