Removing quarter panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
I have a 1984 el camino and I need to remove a quarter panel from a donor el camino for mine. What's the best method to remove the panel? Any help is great!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
First question is. Is it in a junkyard, or on someone's personal property? The reason I ask is, depending where the car is located/ situated will determine what type of tools you can use.
If it's in a junkyard, you may be limited as to what tools you're able to use. such as a battery powered sawz-all, sharp chisels and baby sledge hammer, etc. unless of course the yard has oxy/ acetylene torches and will cut the piece off for you.

If it's in someone's yard or property, you can use more care removing the panel...such as drilling out spot welds, using a electric sawz-all.
Just make sure you cut off alittle more than you need to help facilitate fit onto your car. You can always clean up the panel when you get it home.
Good luck!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would ask whoever is doing the work on your car how much of the 1/4 panel they'll need to do the work..that will let you know what you need to cut off and should make it simpler to know what tool to use...

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
well it can be fun. i replace the fenders on my 86. i had to remove the doors to be able to get to all the screws. the elco my be different. it takes a little while .

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
You are going to want as much of the panels cut as you can get to. Cut at least 2-2 1/2 inches in past all spot welds in the door jamb. Cut across the top of the door window opening and down into the bed. Gonna need the rear glass removed for that cut. Cut thru the bed to the tailgate opening leaving at least 2-2 1/2 inches of metal past wheel tub. You want to end up with the entire quarter panel removed with metal left over that all the spot welds that hold the outer quarter to the inner panel are connected to. Make sure you have a couple good sawzall blades to get the job done.
Good luck and take your time removing the panel.

Chris

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
wonderboy24 said:
well it can be fun. i replace the fenders on my 86. i had to remove the doors to be able to get to all the screws. the elco my be different. it takes a little while .
Fenders and quarters are wayyy different. You cant unbolt a quarter on these cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor