removing/replacing ujoints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
i don't know if I'm missing something or what, but i cant seem to get the u-joints out of my drive shaft. i actually only tried the one that mates to the diff. didn't try the trans side yet because i got kinda pissed off

I'm using a ball joint press tool with no success.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Does it have those plastic retainer pins? I have heard you have to melt them off?? :shock: May be wrong though...

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
use a torch and melt the plastic. if it has clip make sure you remove them first..I usually install and remove the u-joints by hand. Just make sure you put grease in the cap to keep the needle bearings put when installing..

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
They would have to be the factory original U-joints if they have the plastic lock in the caps. If you think that might be for case, hold a torch to the cap and you will see this "goo" start to squeeze out (I really don't think they started this back in the 80's)
Be sure you have removed the lock rings :!:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
You can burn them out with a cheap propane torch that you can get at a parts store.

Now here's something VERY important to keep in mind when you do this

Find the little plastic tit that sticks out (usually orange looking in color) and heat that end first at the opening. It will flow outward like a snake as it melts. If you melt the inside portion of the retaining ring while the end that sticks out is still solid and intact, it builds up pressure inside and will come out like a gun shot! Ask me how I know!

Point it away from you while you do it to be safe.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
If you don't have access to a torch, just drop your driveshaft off at any local machine shop and they can press the old ones out and the new ones in for you.
When I was building the 442, I just went to the machine shop in town that we took all our motors from the resto shop to during my lunch break and he did it for free and i picked it up on my way home.
You may not be as lucky on the price, but even if they charge you, it won't be much...

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
i got the old ones out fine using a balljoint press tool after i melted most off the plastic and they were still hot.

the only problem now seems to be getting the correct ujoint from the parts store. ive gotten the wrong ones a couple times now. i'm taking the old one and the mic with me next time.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Depending on where you go, the part number should be 2-3011.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
ill try giving them that part # they gave me 2-0053DL, and 1-0053DL both of which were wrong. thanks!

do you know what parts store? i typed that into advance and autozone and got nothing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and if you do the trans side mark the driveshaft and the yoke so they go back together the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor