replacing battery cable issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftrightother

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
Ok so I would like to replace my battery cables but I have one problem. I have the GM Performance Parts Serpentine Belt Drive System installed and that caused my alt to be on the drivers side of the car now instead of the passager side so all the postive stock cables I see are too short.

Does anyone know of a good custom cable site that builds cables using the side mounts or have any idea of a gm car that has the alt on the other side of the bay away from the battery?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Why would your battery cable go to the alt? It should go to the starter, right? If you mean the 10 gauge alt wire that goes to the battery for charging purposes, just make a longer one. You get some 10 or 8 gauge wire and some big ring terminals and solder it up.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I just went to Napa and they actually had the wires I needed for once :lol: You can buy whatever size you need and cut it, solder it up and your done!

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Bonewagon said:
Why would your battery cable go to the alt? It should go to the starter, right? If you mean the 10 gauge alt wire that goes to the battery for charging purposes, just make a longer one. You get some 10 or 8 gauge wire and some big ring terminals and solder it up.
X2 The pos + battery cable goes to starter. The neg - goes to a good engine ground. I just extended my alt Red wire.

Attachments

• 4-26-2010%20012.jpg
    4-26-2010%20012.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 676

leftrightother

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the input everyone. When I said battery cable I ment charging cable in general terms. I upgraded my Alt to a 120 amp and did not know if I should also upgrade the 24 year old cables to a larger size.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I always use 8 gauge, never a problem, so that should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor