replacing my steeringbox, is there any good performance ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
I am looking to replace my steering box, is there any good performance one that i could buy, i am looking for a better steering,
and i have seen member putting a jeep shaft :wtf: dose that really help in a better steering ? here is a link: http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39975

thanks guys

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
Re: replacing my steeringbox, is there any good performance

THe jeep XJ shaft is a very common upgrade in chevy fullsize truck circles so it doesnt surprise me to see it done in cars also.

Basically it eliminates the rag joint and replaces it with very small ujoints with hard bushing isolators to cut down vibrations.

As far as the steering box upgrade goes it really depends how far you want to go. You can switch from a standard speed box to a quick turn, or go to a manual s10 box. Its really preference. But if your looking for say X performance company makes a better setup steering box I think your going to strike out because I've never seen them offered before.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

A good upgrade is a quick ratio box from an 86' monte carlo ss. You can get them at autozone or any other parts store for right around $125.

It was a night and day difference when I swapped mine in and it has a rack and pinion feel to it.

I swapped in a jeep cherokee intermediate shaft as well. I'm sure someone will chime in as I know there are 3 different kinds and one in particular you need to get. It clears up a lot of space compared to our stock shafts and has a better feel to it overall. Well worth the upgrade with both!

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

patmckinneyracing said:
A good upgrade is a quick ratio box from an 86' monte carlo ss. You can get them at autozone or any other parts store for right around $125.

It was a night and day difference when I swapped mine in and it has a rack and pinion feel to it.

I swapped in a jeep cherokee intermediate shaft as well. I'm sure someone will chime in as I know there are 3 different kinds and one in particular you need to get. It clears up a lot of space compared to our stock shafts and has a better feel to it overall. Well worth the upgrade with both!
X2 for me

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010

patmckinneyracing said:

Is the jeep shaft is an easy swap? is it safe? i really hate seeing my car loose steering. i rather be safe than sorry,
can you please give some input about the jeep install and how reliable it is ? how long u had it and do i have to weld any thing for this one ,, will go autozone and get the monte carlo ss gear box

thank bud

trog

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2009
tampa, florida

Jeep cherokee, the boxy one, has the right shaft for you. easy bolt in install, takes about 10 min and very safe

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

There's no welding with the Jeep shaft. You slip your old shaft off and the new one on. Then tigthen down the cinch bolts.

As far as steering box, any box from an F41 equipped car will work. Doesn't have to be a Monte SS. Could be a Cutlass, Regal, etc. that was optioned up with the F41 suspension package.

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN

patmckinneyracing said:

X3...also made for 442, h/o and grand national...should all be the same.

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010

FE3X CLONE said:
There's no welding with the Jeep shaft. You slip your old shaft off and the new one on. Then tigthen down the cinch bolts.

As far as steering box, any box from an F41 equipped car will work. Doesn't have to be a Monte SS. Could be a Cutlass, Regal, etc. that was optioned up with the F41 suspension package.

When u say F41 suspension package is that from a monte ss or grand national ? , is it from auto zone, i dont care about the price, i just need the best,, can you guys tell me what year car steering box should i get

thanks again

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

bawazir said:
When u say F41 suspension package is that from a monte ss or grand national ? , is it from auto zone, i dont care about the price, i just need the best,, can you guys tell me what year car steering box should i get

thanks again

Any G-body could have been optioned with the F-41 suspension package. Like I said above, it doesn't need to be a Monte SS. 442's and H/O's had them as well as my base Cutlass Supreme. However if your buying a reman'd unit from the parts store, your better off telling them it's for an SS, 442, H/O etc. since those cars all came with the F41 package.

You may also check out Mike's Monte's. I bought my remanufactured box from him. He's a good guy to deal with unlike the idiots as most of the parts stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor