replacing water pump gasket only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011
is this a good idea? i bought the engine about a month ago and the water pump looked fairly new, and still does.. but as of today its leaking from the bottom of the gasket. i really dont have the money for a whole new pump right now and i need to drive the car... the water pump still pushes coolant just fine it seems its just the gasket. so, can i just re-gasket it?

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
yup

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Theres no need to replace the water pump unless its leaking. If its the gasket leaking then replace that but make damn sure its not a seep hole in the water pump leaking. They seep water out when they go bad and it runs along the bottom so alot of times it looks like a gasket. Ask me how I know :lol:

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
If it were me, I'd likely put a new pump on too as to have to take it all apart again if it was actually the water pump bad. Water pumps are cheap anyways, so might as well IMO. You should be able to get a water pump for $20-40. Usually when they leak, the pump is going bad. They can still circulate coolant.

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011
I'll try and get a new one, but again I'm in a bit of a bind lol...
*actually I have a spare pump! nevermind fellas :D
thanks though!

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
If its a SBC and its leaking on the driver side. Alot of guys dont know the bottom water pump holes goes into the water jacket. Be sure there is silicone on that. I have seen that leak. Expecially you said the pump looks new.

When you take it off to replace the gasket you will see staining in the weep hole if it was that.

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011
its an olds, problem taken care of... turns out there was this lil hole on the bottom of it that i guess leaks when an internal seal busts... took one off of my old 307, got a new gasket and some silicone and viola! no more leaks :D

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
SilverShadow87 said:
its an olds, problem taken care of... turns out there was this lil hole on the bottom of it that i guess leaks when an internal seal busts... took one off of my old 307, got a new gasket and some silicone and viola! no more leaks :D
Thats the seep hole that was leaking. They seem to go randomly and can look like a gasket has gone bad. Atleast you fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor