sbc head swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Currently im running a chevy 350 bored .040 over. 9.77:1 compression with flat top pistons. Comp cams xe268 cam. Weiand intake and an edelbrock 750. It has 062 vortec heads that havent seen a machine shop yet. Stock valves and springs. No porting. I was looking at going to Edelbrock E-tec heads. They have all the same bolt patterns as the vortec heads. And I was going to go 1.6:1 roller tip rockers. Is this worth the $1400 or so? I'd like to see more power than what I have. The Edelbrocks are also aluminum vs the cast vortecs.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm guessing that's an H cam and you didn't say which e-tec heads. My opinion is your not going to see the improvement your looking for.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
With the 200 cc heads you don't have enough cam to take advantage of them and you will loose bottom end. The vortec's were designed with the 1.94 valves and there not any
real advantage to open them up.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
lilbowtie said:
With the 200 cc heads you don't have enough cam to take advantage of them and you will loose bottom end. The vortec's were designed with the 1.94 valves and there not any
Even if I went to the 1.6 rockers I wouldnt have enough cam? I'd like to go bigger on the cam anyway.. just looking to get more power. It runs 13.7's now on street tires. I would like to see under 13.5's

bygddy

Apprentice
Mar 8, 2014
Yep, lilbowtie is exactly right....for what your going to spend, the performance just won't be there... if you were looking at more cam, then a good set of heads would compliment. Not an E-tec fan myself, there are better choices.
Your other option in a set of Pro filer 185's. Cheaper then the ede's your looking at, and at every point they will far outflow the vortec's. I suspect you would see a decent gain there at every rpm range and your looking at $1100 (plus a swap meet performer RPM intake)
My 10.1 355 with pro filer 195's, a dinky comp 268h (smaller then the xe), performer RPM and 750DP ran like a freight train with a 700R4 and a 3.42 gear.... trapped 110mph showing an honest 400hp....and again, that's with an itty bitty cam.
As for your 1.6 rockers, assuming its a flat tappet cam, leave the 1.6's off. Its hard enough keeping a ft cam alive these days without adding geometry issues to the mix. Just not worth it IMO

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Profiler wants 1100 for 195 heads fully assembled with 64cc chambers.. not bad. Performer rpm is what you guys would reccomend for an intake? I have about a month and a half to think it over. I want more power but heads seem to be the easiest way to make hp and tq.

bygddy

Apprentice
Mar 8, 2014
79cutlasssalon442 said:
Profiler wants 1100 for 195 heads fully assembled with 64cc chambers.. not bad. Performer rpm is what you guys would reccomend for an intake? I have about a month and a half to think it over. I want more power but heads seem to be the easiest way to make hp and tq.
195's might give up a touch on the bottom end, but it does give you room for growth later when you want to step up the cam. In almost every situation the performer RPM is your best choice for anything shy of a full tilt 6500+rpm motor. Don't bother with the air gap version, its more marketing then anything you will feel with your butt dyno....
If your looking for more.....as in lots more, look at a cam swap when you do the heads and intake. A retrofit roller from Howard's is an excellent product at a decent price. If you are set on using a ft cam then I again like Howard's personally but as long as the break in procedure is followed to the letter and proper oil is used you should be fine with a cam from any of the big name grinders as most are done at the same facility and simply boxed for the appropriate vendor.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
79cutlasssalon442 said:
lilbowtie said:
Even if I went to the 1.6 rockers I wouldnt have enough cam? I'd like to go bigger on the cam anyway.. just looking to get more power. It runs 13.7's now on street tires. I would like to see under 13.5's

With some tuning on your present set-up you can probably see that. I'm guessing your shifting too high with that cam and hurting your ET. You should be shifting just over 5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor