sbc350 vid can u name that sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
i took a short vid of my car today it was a cold start hasent been started in over 2 weeks i only hit the gas ones turned the key and it fired right up.but i could hear something coming form the fornt of the motor was thinkin it was the ps pump so i took the belts off and started her back up and the sound was still there. sounded like it was behind the timing cover bout where the cam is. it dident sound low enf to be the crank or high enf to be valves or lifter.heres a link to the vid let me kno what yall think it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCQvs6U ... e=youtu.be ..i did let it run for a bit after the vid to let it worm up real good to see if maybe it would go away and it dident

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I think I hear what your referring to. I only hear it when your under the hood. Sounds similar to when I had a loose flexplate.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
CHRIS.O said:
I think I hear what your referring to. I only hear it when your under the hood. Sounds similar to when I had a loose flexplate.
yeah u can only hear it at the fornt end.im goin to go over the tc bolts tomorrow so while im right there ill see how the flywheels bolts are.but its seems to be right in the fornt of the motor

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Yea if it is in the front then it probably isn't torque converter or flex plate related. I just remember having an oldsmobile 350 one time that sounded like it was lightly knocking and it drove me nuts trying to figure it out for a couple weeks. I mentioned it to a friend and he pointed me to the flexplate or torque converter. Sure enough it was the torque converter. I hope ya get it figured out soon.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
cullencombs said:
Cracked/loose flexplate or loose torque convertor.
ok im go over my torque convertor bolts tomorrow and give my fly wheel a look.but y would it sound like its in the fornt of the motor? if its the tc or fly wheel.but i have been out messinging with it and now when i start it it makes a clunk sound right as the motor starts to turn in the rear of the motor so im thinking it is the tc bolts or fly wheels. but i dont get y when its running i get that clunking sound in the fornt of the motor unless it just seems like it is coming form the fornt of the motor. to me it almost sounds like a light rod knock but its NOT coming form the lower end. ill try and get a better vid tomorrow but im kinda worryed about starting it any more i dont want to hurt the motor

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
A light rod knock is what I thought I had when my torque converter was loose. You will find out when you slide under and check them. If one is any bit loose it will cause that noise. As far as why it sounds like it is up front, I have no idea. I cannot recall if mine sounded like it was up front or not but hey it will take ya all of 5 min to check out the TC and see if that is it and eliminate it if it isn't. Good luck buddy, I hate weird engine noises.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
check the converter bolts. did you put lock-tite on the bolts?

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
thanks for the tips on the torque converter bolts. went out and gave her a look its to cold out to really mess around for to long but i seen right away that one of the bolts fell out maybe 2 the tc is still really tight to the fly wheel and dont move a bit.i did put lock tight on the bolts but thay still backed out.so if it worms up any here in dam *ss witoday ima go out in see if i can find dif tc bolts to put in my dumb a$$ dident put the cover back on under the tc so the bolts and ill let yall if if that is forsure it.but again thanks for pointing me to the torque converter i more then appreciate all the help iv gottin here form gbody forums u guys are grate in kno ur sh*t!!! whats the best lock tight for the tc bolts i uesed the blue kind b4

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
well like i said b4 2 of the bolts came out of the tc i had locktight on the bolts the blue stuff i had them torqued down i dont rember to what but thay al went in and torqued down nice.well i got 3 new bolts the same size as the othero ne that where in it.i took the one out that was still there the new bolt went in as should but i went to put the next in and the hole is striped out as was the next.so im wornder if a th350 tc will work in a th400?im not guessing it will but dont hurt to ask when i got more then a few th350 tc layin around.or what can i do o fix the th400 tc with out pulling it out.or pull it and tap the holes and run bigger bolts?.also what would make the bolts to come out and the holes to strip out like this.i turned the motor over by hand after getting it all to getter and made sure the bolt heads dident hit anywhere in it was good all arond.i drove it around for a week and took a look at it all again and all looked good.i looked and dident see any where that the bolts hit as thay backed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor